Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

3bet the BB to a steel

Old
3bet the BB to a steel - Fri May 02, 2014, 02:21 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2013
Hi all

I have 2 questions here. I decided to defend the BB with a 3bet here due to the V 40% steel expecting to win the pot most of the time. On the river I try to tack it down with a Cbet, this is my fist question should I have Cbet here? I think this might have been a bad idea because I have just made a big pot even bigger with nothing. My second question should I have tried betting the turn of the river? I’m wondering if the river is a good card to bluff? I have 67 hands on this V 21/18/10 with an AF of 4.3

Thanks for all the help
Michael

Old
Fri May 02, 2014, 02:58 PM
(#2)
Since: Apr 2010
The thing about 3 betting here is that you are essentially turning your hand into a bluff.

This is not true only if you have seen that the villain is capable of calling 3bets with a range that KQ does well against, eg K9suited, QJ off etc.

If he's folding a ton to 3bets then it's viable to do so with a wide range, simply because you'll win the pot pre flop so often.

You're 3bet sizing is a little small imo. I'd make it a bit bigger oop maybe .20/.22, i don't want to encourage him to call here as we'll get into tons of tricky spots when he does and we miss. Even when we hit we may have to try and pot control oop which isn't easy.

If you know what type of hands villain is flatting 3bets with then you'll know what to do on the flop. In general, I would expect villain to be flatting medium strength hands: 99/1010/JJ/AQ/AJ suited maybe. This is without reads. So I would just c/fold this flop.

With no strength shown on the turn, I don't like betting the river. Sure it's a scare card, but we have to assume villain has a showdown value hand when they c/call the flop. How many of these hands do we think we can fold to a bet otr?

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com