Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

set on straight board

Old
set on straight board - Sun May 04, 2014, 10:07 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2013
Villain 48/24 273 hands

Can I raise on that turn or do I only get called by better hands?

Old
Tue May 06, 2014, 11:59 AM
(#2)
Since: May 2013
You should have donked the flop. At worst check raised villain. You gave him the impetus. You should also have bet on the turn. You let villain play the hand perfectly. Bad you! Bet those monsters fast!

Old
Tue May 06, 2014, 12:23 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I agree. I'm leading both streets (flop and turn) with a standard bet that will price out the opp's draws. 2/3 pot vs two opps, 1/2 pot against one opp. If the opp wants to chase and draw when they expect to lose chips to me each and every time on average... so be it.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue May 06, 2014, 02:41 PM
(#4)
Since: Apr 2010
Personally i would c/raise the turn as played, tons of value from 1 pair and draw hands/even two pair combos.

then on river i'd bet 1/2 pot and fold to a raise. Something like that, still plenty value on the river.

Old
Tue May 06, 2014, 04:01 PM
(#5)
Since: Nov 2012
BronzeStar
Checking the flop here is fine, leading is good too but a check is only valuable vs leading if you know your opponent will bet.

At the turn you have really 2 options, take the lead or act passive.
If you act passive you need to check-raise here, a call is likely going to end in a fold on the river since your opponent can't draw any more and will likely feel beat. If you check-raise then you are playing to his ego, he may call as an impulse or he may fold but if he doesn't call a check-raise he would likely not call a simple river bet.

I felt that at some point, you needed to take the lead, you got lucky that your opponent was happy to fall for your trap but most opponents will smell a rat and get away from it. I wouldn't reckon you get lucky for such a maniac opponent next time.

Old
Tue May 06, 2014, 04:18 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
check/raising the flop turns my cards face up.... something that I want to avoid.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com