Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

bigger 5$ second pair against active villian

Old
bigger 5$ second pair against active villian - Sun May 04, 2014, 10:52 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2013
i think its a clear mistake,i open because the table was very passive , the raise on the turn should have me fold, but villian was a 44vpip 23 pfr with ag at 23 so i think second pair could be good

Old
Sun May 04, 2014, 04:06 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi scarface763!

With AT from UTG, I'm going to muck it preflop. There are too many players that could have me dominated and if the table is passive, they'll just call behind me, so then I'll be in a very sticky spot postflop, as I won't know whether I'm ahead or not.

If I did open it, I'd make a standard raise, which for this blind level is to 3BB+1BB for each limper (360). I don't want to open small with a passive table, as they'll be more likely to call and each one that does call gives those behind them even better odds to call.

I miss the flop, but since I raised preflop, if I want to make a c-bet, then I need to make a standard bet (like I would if I had the K). With 2 opps, a standard bet is 2/3 pot, so I need to bet 690. Betting less is normally a bet tell for a draw (or a slowplay), so it's something that I want to avoid doing. With multiple opps and without a hand on a board that easily could have hit the opp's range, I'm going to check.

I hit the 10 on the turn and since I now have a marginal made hand, especially if I checked the flop, I'd make a standard value bet on the turn. However, as played, I'm going to check and fold to any sizable bet, especially since a standard bet (1/2 pot) would make me pot-committed and I don't want to have to shove with 2nd pair.

The key with this hand though, is to muck preflop.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon May 05, 2014, 04:22 AM
(#3)
Since: Nov 2012
BronzeStar
UTG with AT is a fold for me, even when short that is a nightmare.
I would have c-bet vs 1 opp here but with 2, unless i read them as very passive, i have no equity here and a c-bet could be a waste of chips. Either way if I c-bet here and fail, unless i pickup equity on the turn I would probably just give up.

You hit on the turn but if he called the flop, do you not think he might have a King?
You checked here which is good, but its check/fold not check/call.

On the river there is not much you can do..

2nd pair could have been good there.. but only if you got to see the showdown for cheap.
Once your c-bet failed, you should have resigned yourself to check/fold and see a cheap showdown. Your goal now should be to play a small pot and if your opponent decides he wants to play a bit pot, you need to bail.

The key like John said is, not to play it from that position preflop.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com