Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

235fpp - Fold with AK?

Old
235fpp - Fold with AK? - Sun May 04, 2014, 11:26 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2012
Just starting to look at some ICM spots in more detail.

2 seats get an $11 ticket.

Apparently it's a super-losing call to call with AK here?

Poker Stars 235FPP No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t50/t100 Blinds + t20 - 4 players - View hand 2486372
DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

Hero (SB): t905 M = 3.93
BB: t385 M = 1.67
CO: t280 M = 1.22
BTN: t1430 M = 6.22

Pre Flop: (t230) Hero is SB with A K
1 fold, BTN raises to t430

I should only call KK+?

Last edited by birdayy; Sun May 04, 2014 at 11:29 AM..

Old
Sun May 04, 2014, 01:13 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2012
I posted a hand like this recently and it's meant to be a super tight calling range. http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...t-ATs-3-handed

Like TT plus or so.

Id probably end up shoving but I am pretty sure we are meant to fold.

Old
Sun May 04, 2014, 04:22 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi birdayy!

Before I put this into ICMIZER, I was expecting a calling range of about QQ+... BUT.. I guess I was too loose with it. The one and only hand that I should get it in with here, per ICMIZER, is AA.
Even KK is -0.57%EV here, AK is -8.28%EV.

These satty spots are all about chip stacks, so as long as I have a top 2 stack, then I really only want to be playing pots against the smaller stacks.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue May 06, 2014, 03:50 PM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2010
The key to this hand is the shortness of the other two stacks. You should be playing no hands against the only opponent who can knock you out of a qualifying spot.

You have no choice other than to allow him to bully the rest of the table until one of the shorter stacks gets lucky and gets a stack that can harm either you or the big stack.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com