Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

The Rocker - 6maxin' n relaxin'

Old
Cool
The Rocker - 6maxin' n relaxin' - Mon May 05, 2014, 01:58 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2010
Greetings earthlings.

This blog will detail my adventures in 6max cash games, and may or may not include rants off topic, random music links....reader discretion is advised .

I deposited 10bucks on stars a couple months back now with no clear goals. I've dabbled in 6max cash in the past but never with any clear structure.

So what I plan on doing is setting monthly targets, and posting graphs/ some interesting hands itt.

So far i'm sitting on 42 buy ins for 10nl so time to start focusing on that limit. Majority of my hands played are at 2nl and 5nl zoom, and I am currently switching from these tables to regular tables.

I'm not planning on being aggressive in brm, and volume isn't my main goal atm either. So my goals initially will focus on the learning aspects of the game as opposed to the grinding.

Better to learn from mistakes at lower stakes than later on right?

So here are my goals for May:

[ ] 20K hands at 10nl reg tables.
[ ] Spend as much time studying concepts/articles/videos, as I do playing the game. This is a minimum.
[ ] Find one leak in my game and work on it.

Overall Graph so far:

Some inspiration

Last edited by Paddy Gar; Tue May 06, 2014 at 03:43 PM..

Old
Mon May 05, 2014, 04:38 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
Seems like a good plan. Good luck with your game!

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon May 05, 2014, 05:06 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
This seems like it'll be a fun thread - GL!!

Old
Mon May 05, 2014, 05:14 PM
(#4)
Since: Apr 2013
@ follow

gl dude,

p.s scary pic

Old
Mon May 05, 2014, 05:29 PM
(#5)
Ty guys, appreciate the support!

No poker today I took a shot at scoop 1 and 2 low yday, cashed the second which was nice. I wasn't going to play them but figured it's a once yearly event and i don't mind grinding the buy in back.

Also worth mentioning I like to shot take some micro tourneys. I try to satty the storm with fpps every week, and will play as many micro million events as I can when they arrive again.

Last micro mil, I finished just outside the top 100 in the final leaderboard, mainly because I missed the first couple of days of the events. Those fields are just too fun and the deep stacks suits cash game players well imo.

Monday is usually my day off, watch some Game of Thrones/ footie and get some studying in. Nearly finished watching Gareths cash game archive, highly suggest watching some topics if you haven't.

Last edited by Paddy Gar; Mon May 05, 2014 at 05:36 PM..

Old
Tue May 06, 2014, 03:32 PM
(#6)
So I had a smallish session today, played regular 10nl and some zoom.

Lost a stack with kings against aces in zoom, then won it back and then some.

Won a stack or so on the reg tables also, waiting out a rec to my right. He was 3betting a bit too light and squeezed an utg open and mp flat from the button. I had AQ in the s.b and 4bet/called it off. Villain had AJ so happy days.

I'm not sure if i'm done with zoom yet. There's def plenty fish in the sea judging by the player pool size, players to flop and just general observations of 10nl. I only have a brief sample so if anyone has opinions on this i'd appreciate it.

I'll be like:

Here's a fun hand from zoom to suggest it may be quite profitable:

Anyhoo off to try and satty the last scoop low of the day and that'll be me done for now. Gonna read some articles on isolation later as it's not an area i'm entirely comfortable with yet.

Some more Lizzy, it soothes my soul

Last edited by Paddy Gar; Tue May 06, 2014 at 03:36 PM..

Old
Tue May 06, 2014, 04:16 PM
(#7)
Selected aggression hand of the day

What do you guys think about the play here? Villain is 4tabling so assumed reg with a fold button. I've blockers to the nuts, can rep very well, and have outs if called. Im c/folding river if i don't improve because I haven't enough information on the villain.

He cbets the flop with pretty much his entire range here, turn is much narrower so I'm targeting kx/1 pair hands here. A bit spewy in a vacuum?

Old
Tue May 06, 2014, 05:22 PM
(#8)
"Here's a fun hand from zoom to suggest it may be quite profitable:"

Villain used the check-call flop, donk the turn line. Obviously you have a set and aren't folding, but what is he repping? Fourth pair, evidently.

With the 77, floating is OK, but if you're going to bluff, then doing it on the flop might be better, as the range that villain c-bet bluffs with can definitely improve on the turn, so it's better to "protect" your hand and make him fold out all the hands that have equity against you. I'd usually fold to the turn barrel, unless I know that villain has a high turn bet frequency, but the 8 is a pretty good card for you to raise, as - like you said - you can rep a bunch of hands while also having outs if villain calls.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue May 06, 2014, 06:55 PM
(#9)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
I like the play with 77. Raising flop or turn seems like a solid play on this dry K-high board, though if my plan was to raise turn I would not do it 100% of the time. I would be looking for good turn cards, something like that 8 is close to perfect (3 or 5 would be much better as you maintain second pair).

EDIT: On second thought, I don't like raising this dry flop IP unless you also do that with your strong hands like sets? I do like going for a check-raise OOP sometimes, but not always, for the same reason.

What is your plan when you take this line on the turn? What are you doing on the river?

Last edited by RockerguyAA; Tue May 06, 2014 at 07:13 PM.. Reason: typos - can't check-raise IP

Old
Tue May 06, 2014, 07:38 PM
(#10)
Arty: Ha yeah that's true, but remember we were talking about defending the bb, not calling iso raises after limping utg

Rocker: I don't think raising the flop accomplishes a whole lot. My thinking is that villain never folds his value hands on flop to a raise, say he has AK. What am i representing to him? The 3 combos of 66 and 44, but does it make sense to raise such a monster with nothing to really protect against on the turn? Especially in position when i can get more bets from his bluffs ott.

If villain is thinking about it, he may even call a flop raise with qq/88, as it wouldnt make sense to raise a king either. Im not saying you wont get folds doing it, but it's a lot more reputable imo to float the turn and attempt it then. That's how most people would play a set, baluga theorum etc.

I guess what i'm saying is i believe i can fold some of his value range AND bluffs ott, as opposed to just his bluffs otf.

Yeah I agree that the right turn card helps. Like i said, this was selected aggression. I don't attempt this every time i pick up a small pp. Felt like a great spot to do it imo, and I have blockers to the nuts not that it's that vital in this spot.

I said above plan otr if called is c/fold as I have no reads on villain except that he's a likely reg. I don't expect him to bet/call turn and fold river. I'll bet a 7/5, thats it.

Old
Tue May 06, 2014, 11:45 PM
(#11)
BronzeStar
Yes, I agree with everything in your post. This is a very good spot to make this kind of play and it is important to make these kinds of plays sometimes against better players to balance our ranges appropriately. It is definitely critical to be thinking on the 2nd level here, being aware of what is likely going on in villain's mind given his perspective. My bad about the river action question, I did read what you said, but forgot about it while I was working on my reply. I do think you can barrel the river more often than just a 5 or 7, but generally only when you do have a better read on the villain. It helps a lot to know if he can fold a hand like KQ or AK there. Without those reads I agree shutting down on river is usually the better play. You strengthened villain's range quite a bit on the turn with your raise and you may have some showdown value, though off the top of my head I'm not sure what he could call the turn that makes it to showdown worse.

Also, I really like that you have the added value of the gutshot when you decide to turn your hand into a bluff on the turn. It triples your outs against a huge portion of his range, and the small portion that absolutely crushes you like a set of kings you go from drawing dead to having 4 outs to the nuts assuming he continues to slowplay.

Anyways, very interesting hand. Hopefully I can get some more hands in at 10NL myself and post something for hand analysis. Maybe I can get some input from players like yourself and Arty when I do

Old
Fri May 09, 2014, 07:42 PM
(#12)
How's everybody doing?

So I've spent a lot of the week going through some videos of gameplay at microstakes, and also trying to help out with the hand analysis in the forum.

Jumped into the 10nl zoom pool again today and played a 1.2k hand session. Won 3 stacks but made 1 really spewy call off with an overpair in a spot I normally always fold. Went for thin value on the river and called off figuring I could have induced some spew. Yeah, I did, spew by myself lol.

Zoom is such a cooler fest, went through the big pots from all tables after the session and the majority are set over set, kings against aces, it's gonna take me a while to figure out what i should be stacking off with in spots at these stakes. Haven't made any mistakes yet but need more sample size to determine what some guys are doing.

Here is an example of a spot where I would never put the guy on kings, for example, but he was probably afraid I had it pre.

Here's another one, when the guys calls the flop I'm so sure he's got me beat it's sick. Like this is never jacks, I'm blocking several AK combos, but I still feel I have to shove the turn. Thankfully pokerstars support sent me the 2 outer

Disappointed I made one big blunder in a 200bb pot, which is something I haven't done for a while. All in all pretty happy with my game despite not playing for a couple of days, ready to get some more hands in over the weekend.

Hope everyone else is doing well on the grind, I'll leave you for now with some Boss

Last edited by Paddy Gar; Fri May 09, 2014 at 07:45 PM..

Old
Fri May 09, 2014, 08:54 PM
(#13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy Gar View Post
made 1 really spewy call off with an overpair in a spot I normally always fold. Went for thin value on the river and called off figuring I could have induced some spew. Yeah, I did, spew by myself lol.
I did the same thing a couple of days ago. Villain rivered a flush, and check-raised, but for some reason I convinced myself he was turning an underpair into a bluff, which ABC tags just aren't capable of doing at 5NL/10NL. Replaying the hand made me feel so embarrassed (and angry with myself for making such a terrible call) that I had to take a day off to allow the steam to subside. I had to have a word with myself prior to tonight's session: "River raises are always the nuts".

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri May 09, 2014, 09:16 PM
(#14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
I did the same thing a couple of days ago. Villain rivered a flush, and check-raised, but for some reason I convinced myself he was turning an underpair into a bluff, which ABC tags just aren't capable of doing at 5NL/10NL. Replaying the hand made me feel so embarrassed (and angry with myself for making such a terrible call) that I had to take a day off to allow the steam to subside. I had to have a word with myself prior to tonight's session: "River raises are always the nuts".
How did your session go tonight? Post a blog update it's due

Yeah I hear you man, need to get in the right mind set when you jump in the 5nl/10nl pool!

Old
Fri May 09, 2014, 09:27 PM
(#15)
Had a small win tonight, mostly thanks to coolering AA with KK in a 4-bet pot. The last 8000 hands have been brutal though. Of the 16,000 hands I've played on [rival site], the second half has basically been breakeven, which has meant I've lost some motivation. I don't plan to update my thread until I've reached 20k, but I'm no longer in such a hurry to reach that milestone, as I'm not really enjoying poker right now, and results tend to slide if I'm not motivated to play my A-game.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri May 09, 2014, 10:12 PM
(#16)
Play some .01/.02 plo or something Arty, have some fun.

I'd say take a break but you already said you did recently, so maybe watch some Hellmuth classics or something?

Breakeven stretches suck, I had 25k stretch at 5nl as you can see in the initial graph. I probably played the longest sessions during that time period too. I think it kept the stretch going because we'll never play our best when downswinging, yet volume is the key to them not phasing you.

Shorter sessions, book wins when you get them however small, it at least makes you feel like you're upswinging!

Old
Sun May 11, 2014, 06:02 PM
(#17)
End of Week Report

So I've just finished up my session for the day. Played the scoop 22 low and 23 low. Cashed the 22 and bricked the 23, was fun! That's my mtt fix for the week over with haha.

Here's my graph for the week at my new stakes 10nl zoom.

Running pretty well in all in spots. Played a long session yday trying to see if i could play well running 4tables- not so much. Not 3betting nearly enough and taking advantage of resteal spots. So I will continue to 2 table this week and see how results go. Running at 11.2 bb/100 atm.

Here was a spot where I had notes on the guy being overagressive in 3bet pots and adjusted my betsizing accordingly

Here's another one against a very aggresive opponent, who I have to admit is fun to play against! Put me in more than one tough spot over my weekly zooming.

Hope everyone had a good week. I'm gonna smash my hand goal but that's because I've decided to grind zoom and not regular tables.

Fav band to grind to

Last edited by Paddy Gar; Sun May 11, 2014 at 06:11 PM..

Old
Sun May 11, 2014, 06:15 PM
(#18)
Selected Aggression hand of the weekend

Oh you've got it mate? Nah, I do

Old
Tue May 13, 2014, 09:46 PM
(#19)
BronzeStar
Love the KK hand man. AKo hand is very nice as well, though personally I prefer raising the turn all-in. Letting villain set the price with hands like decent pairs with club kind of sucks. Just try and get the money in while you think it is still good

The 66 hand is interesting. It gives me mixed feelings. It is confusing on that board in those positions if you're value betting/protecting your small pair or if your turning it into a bluff. Value betting by check raising is going to make it really hard to get to showdown feeling good about it. Almost any turn/river is going to be a diamond or an overcard and you are OOP. What do you think about donking this flop with 66? Seems like it would accomplish the same thing while keeping the pot smaller. Might keep your range wider than a check-raise, which represents very little really. This hand kind of reminds me of the short discussion about Nanonoko donking flops that we had in Arty's thread a little while ago.

Well done at the 10NL this week! I think it is smart to limit your multitabling. I have been doing 4 tables of 10NL at a time and I am constantly considering dropping down to 2 to be able to focus more on the little details. The most I have done is 14-16 10NL tables stacked about a year ago. VERY exciting and hectic to say the least, but it is less productive overall, even if I thought my hourly was higher than if I was just 2-tabling (no idea if it was). Wish I could have played some myself, but getting soul crushed by end of semester projects and exams...

Old
Tue May 13, 2014, 11:07 PM
(#20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerguyAA View Post
Love the KK hand man. AKo hand is very nice as well, though personally I prefer raising the turn all-in. Letting villain set the price with hands like decent pairs with club kind of sucks. Just try and get the money in while you think it is still good

The 66 hand is interesting. It gives me mixed feelings. It is confusing on that board in those positions if you're value betting/protecting your small pair or if your turning it into a bluff. Value betting by check raising is going to make it really hard to get to showdown feeling good about it. Almost any turn/river is going to be a diamond or an overcard and you are OOP. What do you think about donking this flop with 66? Seems like it would accomplish the same thing while keeping the pot smaller. Might keep your range wider than a check-raise, which represents very little really. This hand kind of reminds me of the short discussion about Nanonoko donking flops that we had in Arty's thread a little while ago.

Well done at the 10NL this week! I think it is smart to limit your multitabling. I have been doing 4 tables of 10NL at a time and I am constantly considering dropping down to 2 to be able to focus more on the little details. The most I have done is 14-16 10NL tables stacked about a year ago. VERY exciting and hectic to say the least, but it is less productive overall, even if I thought my hourly was higher than if I was just 2-tabling (no idea if it was). Wish I could have played some myself, but getting soul crushed by end of semester projects and exams...
GL with your exams mate, will see you at the tables when the stress is over with

Sixes was a weird spot. Would you believe the guy in the AK hand was the same button opener? I'm basically merging by raising his cbet otf, it's partly for value and partly as a bluff. It's good when i fold out his overcards with equity. I won't like pretty much any turn card so I felt his range is so wide for cbetting a paired board that c/raising was the most +ev move in this spot.

I was pretty confident villain would straight up fold to the raise but then I thought about the AK hand. They happened within a short time period. I c/called down oop with a really strong hand in that spot. Yet here I am c/raising the flop, so I thought villain would never put me on a strong hand here....as it's so hard to have one anyways, which is why he 3bets the flop.

I don't know how often villain has to fold here to make it profitable, I might run some calcs. All I can say is that I instinctively felt he would flat my raise with his value range here. Obviously this keeps my bluffs in, and he's ip so I'm in such a terrible spot ott. Therefore I decided his 3betting range is very bluff heavy here, and even if i shove and am called I have ok equity against 2 overs and a f.draw (blocking 1 one out at least).

Meh that was what happened in essence, again something I don't condone nor can I say it's a good play. given the information i had and instincts at the time, it just felt right haha!

Yeah the thing about donking there is this guy was just a super aggro lp opener, cbetting way too much imo regardless of b.texture/ number of people to the flop. So it would be more profitable to raise his air heavy cbetting range there than to donk and not pick up that dead money imo.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com