Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

NL10 - turned the nuts, maxing value

Old
NL10 - turned the nuts, maxing value - Mon May 05, 2014, 10:11 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2013
Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10, $0.02 ante No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BB: $51.22 (512.2 bb)
MP: $23.52 (235.2 bb)
Hero (CO): $19.54 (195.4 bb)
BTN: $33.08 (330.8 bb)
SB: $66.14 (661.4 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9 A
MP raises to $0.30, Hero raises to $0.90, BTN folds, SB calls $0.85, BB folds, MP calls $0.60

Flop: ($2.90) K Q 7 (3 players)
SB checks, MP checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($2.90) J (3 players)
SB bets $2.77, MP calls $2.77, Hero raises to $6, 2 folds

Results:
Click to show hidden text

Do you think I should flat this to keep my range wide? Reraising looks super super strong and I have a flush all the time. But on the other hand the sb is a big fish 83/46/7.1 and fold to flop cbet of 27%.

Old
Tue May 06, 2014, 04:56 AM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2013
Serious deepstacks...

I think you should always raise here and make it even bigger, smt like 9.
OTR there is prob no hand that will continue unless somebody boats up and you really don't want that, so I like to raise and I would make it bigger.

[edit]
About preflop... 3betting A9 can't be very provitable in the long run... can it?

Last edited by rkleefstra; Tue May 06, 2014 at 11:27 AM..

Old
Tue May 06, 2014, 05:50 AM
(#3)
Since: Nov 2012
BronzeStar
3-betting with A9 suited... Good play if you have the stones to represent more if you don't hit, otherwise if you are relying on a pair or drawing to a flush then you will miss more often than you hit and without aggression to backup your play then you arent +EV here.

I don't like checking the flop, you showed uber aggression preflop and now you have declared the exact hand you have, a missed one and possibly a draw. Besides, if you aren't getting called with 2 hearts, you aren't getting called with 3, here is the right chance to build a pot and if the heart doesn't come you are still representing a strong hand.

The turn is your money card, now you have action you raise... yikes - you avoided adding value on the flop and have avoided adding value on the turn. By flatting here, you are likely to get at least 1 of your opponents betting the river here and if they don't bet the river they were never calling a turn raise.

By not betting the flop you actually trapped quite well and contrary to my suggestion you might have setup some really good value there. The problem is you sprung the trap too early.

There are other cards that hurt you on the river (like a scare 4-flush) and with 2 opponents i can't believe 1 of them wouldn't come alive with some action.

That is how I am playing it, i might lose value by betting the flop in the short-term but i reckon to get bigger pots when my flush isn't believed and some decent folds more than i would trapping.

Old
Tue May 06, 2014, 10:08 AM
(#4)
Since: Mar 2012
Your play looks fine. A set or 2P is definately seeing a river along with straights and lesser flushes who may even try to get it in here. There is no guarantee we will get more action OTR as some cards can kill our action like the board pairing or the 4th flush card so raising here is ok.

Old
Tue May 06, 2014, 11:41 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi,

I agree that we should bet this flop. Part of the issue with checking in this situation is that we would absolutely bet all of our strong made hands for value and protection, so when we check it becomes hard for us to have QQ/KK/AA/AK. Now raising the turn, as you note, looks very strong.

That being said, I think raising the turn is essential. Our best chance to get additional action from the Th, top pair, and 2 pair+ is right now, and if someone has AT or a small flush, maybe they will step in it and reraise, allowing us to build a huge pot, which would be a nice bonus considering no money went in on the flop betting round. We have the nuts, deep stacked, in a 3 way pot. We should take actions to build the pot (betting/raising), not actions that keep the pot small (calling).

Since it does look so strong, we can and likely should mix in some bluffs to balance with our nuts. Without looking at combos and frequencies, candidate hands I would think would be the 3 combos of TT with the Th, and if we need more then I'd mix in some of our AhX holdings.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com