Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

NL10 - facing check-raise with a set.

Old
NL10 - facing check-raise with a set. - Mon May 05, 2014, 10:16 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2013
Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10, $0.02 ante No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $26.62 (266.2 bb)
SB: $24.81 (248.1 bb)
BB: $14.02 (140.2 bb)
UTG: $12.68 (126.8 bb)
Hero (MP): $10.75 (107.5 bb)
CO: $41.93 (419.3 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 9 9
UTG calls $0.10, Hero raises to $0.40, 3 folds, BB calls $0.30, UTG calls $0.30

Flop: ($1.37) 9 6 J (3 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets $0.90, BB raises to $2.40, UTG folds, Hero raises to $10.33 and is all-in, BB folds

Results:
Click to show hidden text

Villain is fish 50/24/8.3 AF of 5, fold to cbet 43%.I think on this board texture I should flat and let him bet weaker hands on turn like JX and 78. Because the board isnt that drawy I think maybe my shove loses my value from weaker hands that fold, Im not sure how wide he will call me but I think he can fold top pair.

Old
Tue May 06, 2014, 05:27 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
I think you can just utilise your position here and just call this check/raise and look to get all in on any turn card.

The villain seems like a bit of an aggro fish due to his loose preflop numbers and very high AF, so my strategy vs this guy is to make a hand and allow him to make his favourite mistake of being too aggressive and betting too much. Whether he's running some elaborate bluff or overplaying top pair, he'll likely continue betting on the turn and we can then make sure we get all in.

Old
Tue May 06, 2014, 05:59 AM
(#3)
Since: Nov 2012
BronzeStar
agree with the above.
You have 2 more streets to extract value and you have position. If he doesn't lead on the turn, he wouldn't have called your all-in.

You have the opportunity to play weak calling fish here, if your opponent doesnt buy the act then depending on your read you can either bet the turn or check to the river and give him another street to bluff.

I don't see you getting more than one street of value from this type of opponent unless he had a big hand and if thats the case then he is going to be betting the turn.

No matter the specifics, you lost value here by not flatting because you had at least 1 more bet from him if he is bluffing and if not, you have 2 streets to fight for the pot and get it all in.

Old
Tue May 06, 2014, 08:03 AM
(#4)
Since: May 2013
He's not raisng that much on an oesd. Maybe a min raise on the flop would have induced more action.Many misinterpret a min raise as a donk move. With his aggression i think he would have pushed back . Your shove gave him no room to be aggressive
Calling is perhaps optimal but passive play has got me into a lot of trouble .

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com