Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Brags, Beats and Variance /

Sickest of the Sick or Best Non-shove Ever?

Old
Sickest of the Sick or Best Non-shove Ever? - Wed May 07, 2014, 09:51 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011

How was this villain able to put me on a royal flush? Well played, Sir!

Old
Wed May 07, 2014, 09:56 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
Did he have AQ/AJ/AT?

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 07, 2014, 10:12 AM
(#3)
Since: Nov 2012
BronzeStar
How was he putting you on a royal flush?
He is no doubt trying to bluff you with a better hand and you weren't taking it

So little chips in the pot, i would have just called and showed.. there are other pots to win, its rare you get to show a royal flush

Last edited by baud2death; Wed May 07, 2014 at 10:14 AM..

Old
Wed May 07, 2014, 10:14 AM
(#4)
He limped pocket AA, Arty, he had quad AAAA!!!!! How did he find the strength not to shove?

Old
Wed May 07, 2014, 10:23 AM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2011
That's pretty shocking. You have the royal a decent percentage of the time, but quad aces has to stack off I think. I would have no problem just calling with AT/AJ, but probably stack with AQ too.
I suppose that since he has quads, he knows you can't possibly have the nut boat, so he's only really beating QQ/JJ/TT, but it's still pretty shocking to see him just call.

It's actually pretty remarkable that the pot is so small, given you have nuts vs 3rd nuts.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 07, 2014, 10:24 AM
(#6)
Since: Nov 2012
BronzeStar
Very strange

Old
Wed May 07, 2014, 10:59 AM
(#7)
Since: May 2013
You should have shoved the river. Villains raise suggests you lost out on mega value.

Old
Wed May 07, 2014, 11:56 AM
(#8)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
lol I would never shove this river with quads. Actually it's a crying call. If you had simply shoved over his river raise, it's an easier call. The min-3b is a huge tell of a monster hand.

You would raise preflop most of the time with TT-KK... certainly with QQ/KK, and certainly betting flop with JJ/TT. He's holding all the aces. You got a free play in the BB, checked flop and turn, and now are bet/3betting river, and with a bet sizing tell of a monster to boot. You either have the Kh, or are making a weird bluff. Shoving quad aces into that range would be insanely bad imo.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 07, 2014, 12:02 PM
(#9)
(Head Trainer)
Actually this is a nice example of relative hand strength and ranging... yes he's got quads, but the way the hand has played out, you either have the 1 card that beats it, or nothing, so 4-bet shoving has no good value.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 07, 2014, 12:09 PM
(#10)
(Head Trainer)
In addition to the extreme unlikeliness of you holding an underfull based on preflop/flop/turn actions, you probably wouldn't 3-bet the river with an underfull either when you can't even beat aces full. You can't have aces full since he's got them all, you can't have an underfull (at least our play makes no sense for an underfull)... what else can you possibly have in this spot?

Sick hand, yes... best non-shove ever, not even close imo.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 07, 2014, 12:28 PM
(#11)
I got to keep reminding myself that - in the long run - the times I get called when I shove the nuts will cancel out the times that I get folds. I also didn't notice that 98 hearts would also crush his quads. So...sigh...your right, as usual. I was so paranoid that he would fold that I re-raised the minimum. Kudos to this villain for thinking it through. I think I probably would have gotten stacked in his position, although I have no plans to be limping AA UTG at 5NL Zoom.

Old
Wed May 07, 2014, 01:05 PM
(#12)
(Head Trainer)
Kudos to the villain for his river play, but I think his play pre-river is pretty terrible at all points.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com