Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

10NL ZOOM, 88 flopped top set facing DONKPSB flop and turn

Old
10NL ZOOM, 88 flopped top set facing DONKPSB flop and turn - Wed May 07, 2014, 05:18 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
I feel like I butchered this hand. My plan OTT was to setup for a river shove... but I guess just shoving OTT is best in this spot?

Villain is unknown. ZERO hands. Playing on mobile device.

Old
Thu May 08, 2014, 08:48 AM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2013
I think this is a call there's plenty of hands he is value shoving that we beat to call a pot bet, seen as he is probably a bad player he can have some over pairs sets and maybe a rivered 87 so i would call but if he only donks stuff like 89 and calls the turn raise with the draw and ships value like sets on the turn youve got an easy fold.

Maybe a fold is better with no read but it takes to long to get reads at zoom so i would rather call if i suspect he is a bad player. He would have to be pretty bad i think to donk pot on flop and turn with T9 and 89, i know some players donk draws but donking pot just dont seem like a good plan to me.

Old
Fri May 09, 2014, 11:52 AM
(#3)
(Head Trainer)
Hi dirt,

I would raise the flop directly personally... the donk lead is often a 1 pair hand trying to "see where it's at" or a draw, and since we block top pair hard the villain is going to have 99/TT/draws a lot more often here. He may have some small pairs too but he's not putting more money in with those anyway once called in all likelihood, so just raise immediately and start growing the pot vs. his 99's and draws.

Shoving the turn seems a little heavy handed, but it's better than min-raising and giving this guy 4-1 with all his draws imo. I think either raising to like $4.80, or shoving, are better lines.

The river is a fold imo, I would expect 76, 75, 77 to check to us a large % of the time, not set us all in for a large bet. This really looks like a 9 and there are a lot of 9 combos in his range here... 99, Ah9h-Th9h all make sense, even 98 is possible and adds a few combos.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri May 09, 2014, 12:07 PM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2013
Guess i shouldn't be reading into bet sizes to much, i had a similar hand to this same type of board where i folded JJ over pair to two pot bets because i couldn't see him doing it with a draw or top pair so i mucked the turn.

Old
Fri May 09, 2014, 12:48 PM
(#5)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2198 View Post
Guess i shouldn't be reading into bet sizes to much, i had a similar hand to this same type of board where i folded JJ over pair to two pot bets because i couldn't see him doing it with a draw or top pair so i mucked the turn.
It depends. I have a note on a villain in my regular games who donk bets pot into the PFR and goes pot/pot/pot with flopped sets. Obv he doesn't follow the generalization above. Your JJ fold may have been fine, it's always situational, never cook book recipe.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com