Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

[2nl 6max zoom] Overpair to the board, betting OOP

Old
[2nl 6max zoom] Overpair to the board, betting OOP - Wed May 07, 2014, 09:57 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2011
This is the kind of hand where I get scared by the river.

I figure the most likely hands to call preflop are JJ, TT, AK and AQ. AA and KK are usually 4 betting. There can be weird stuff as it is 2NL but those are the standards hands I would think of.

On the flop I'm pretty happy. The turn comes and I don't really like the T because one of the hands that I'm commonly playing against is now ahead of me.

On the river I'm sort of unsure, He called 2 streets so it's less likely to be overcards. If I check and he bets I'm probably calling off anyway, so I'd rather bet and hope he calls off with worse (JJ almost definitely is, I'm just hoping some players are calling with AK hands, or AT that got here randomly, possibly 88/99).

Last edited by craig121212; Wed May 07, 2014 at 09:59 PM..

Old
Wed May 07, 2014, 10:42 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2011
A better example of the same thing in another hand I just played:

Old
Thu May 08, 2014, 12:15 AM
(#3)
Since: May 2011
Hi craig,

I like both hands - in the context of getting many streets of value from a 1 pair hand. Then think "it's a 3bet pot" and we are both times oop not being 4bet?

So at 1c/2c 4bet ranges? Are there draw heavy boards did they get there?

If the villain shoves over your river bet can you fold 1 pair on a paired board? You have 2 pair and a kicker.

PS. Had both hands in my head and you covered the villain. Looked again and you had them all-in before the river. So I was talking rubbish about being put to a test on the river.

Last edited by ForrestFive; Thu May 08, 2014 at 12:27 AM.. Reason: no turn or river raise

Old
Thu May 08, 2014, 03:04 AM
(#4)
Since: Nov 2012
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig121212 View Post
On the river I'm sort of unsure, He called 2 streets so it's less likely to be overcards. If I check and he bets I'm probably calling off anyway, so I'd rather bet and hope he calls off with worse (JJ almost definitely is, I'm just hoping some players are calling with AK hands, or AT that got here randomly, possibly 88/99).
To me it is MORE likely he has overcards.
I put him on TT-QQ or AK on the preflop and that didn't change on the flop.

If he had AA/KK preflop i expect he wouldn't have called. Whilst I might usually put QQ in that category of preflop reshove hands, sometimes QQ players like to see a flop but rarely do KK/AA.

Obviously since we have QQ, we can assume he doesnt have them and if he does it won't change our strategy.

That means either TT/JJ/AK. I can see him floating the flop with AK but i can't see him doing the same on the turn.

Through the entire hand, you set a reasonable price for a pair vs pair showdown and your opponent wasn't interested in changing that, so I don't think two pair/set is likely either.

He was all action/action preflop and then shutdown on the flop and later, he likely knew he was beat by QQ-AA but didn't mind paying the price as an outside chance to beat something weaker. These are exactly the types of spots we want, small chipups with hands where we are confident we are ahead whilst not risking a lot of chips in the process.

After all, as long as you have time to spend, what does it matter if you earn 100BB in an hour or 100BB in two hours, if you can do the later by playing smaller pots where you are a strong favorite rather than slightly ahead spots where you are a marginal favorite, which sounds smarter?

If you lost him on the river then thats fine, you get a good preflop out of him that bloated the pot and got 2 streets of value from him too. A decent pot for a decent pair. There was no need to get tricky and over-do the price you set and there was no reason to be too scared of being beat.

If he wants to put the price up, he likely has a hand and then you judge if you believe him and fold if you don't. If he was slow playing a decent hand like two pair then thats ok as well, make a note and move on as seeing a showdown at the price you set and lose is not the worst thing in the world.

Old
Thu May 08, 2014, 04:42 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
I don't think there's much to say with either of these two hands... these are both very easy bet bet bet spots IMO. Villains are calling with more than just pairs these days after you 3-bet them.

First hand: I'm a little less happy on the first hand compared to the second. But i'm just putting the money in OTR hoping to get looked up by JJ, 88, 99 and Tx.

Second hand: Great run out! the 2 OTT is awesome and the 4 is a blank. With the 2 pairing the board OTT, we're beating QJ. With KK here we are ahead of everything except for QQ, JJ and slow played AA.

These are simple +EV spots that you need to be taking advantage of and betting all three streets.

Old
Thu May 08, 2014, 04:49 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
**moved to more appropriate forum JWK24**

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt eh View Post
I don't think there's much to say with either of these two hands... these are both very easy bet bet bet spots IMO.
I agree. I'm firing every street. Yes, they could be ahead, but there are so many lesser hands that will pay me off, that it is definitely +EV.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com