Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Teaching Poker

Old
Teaching Poker - Thu May 08, 2014, 08:25 AM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2012
BronzeStar
I was bored whilst at a relatives this weekend and my 8 year old nephew was there, I would have preferred to be at home, playing on Pokerstars and the itch to play overcame me and I thought I would teach my nephew how to play Poker.

He understood the concept of card games, playing hearts (or something similar) with my mother-in-law. I was amazed at how quickly he picked up the hand rankings and what-beat-what. I think he stumbled at the concept of straights and full houses but pair, two pair, a set, a flush.. that he understood.

At first I just started playing both of our cards face up, dealing the flop+turn+river and talking to him at each point to see if he knew which of us was winning.

I could see there were gaps in his understand but hey, he is 8 and its his first time looking at it.

The next step was to play the cards face down.

The next step was to throw in some betting.

I thoroughly enjoyed it as whilst we talk about advanced strategies, tips on how to best be aggressive, shove ranges and 3-bet ranges but seeing him get so much out of it with very little coming from my side was a joy and such a difference from the normal poker chat I run into.

I just really wanted to plant the seed so that as time goes on and we play more together he will have an understanding of the core concepts of the game so when he hits his teens and the more analytical and strategic mindset kicks in and his understanding of maths/probabilities and physiology kicks in, he may have some chops by then.

... he was a bit fish though

Old
Kids - Thu May 08, 2014, 09:35 AM
(#2)
Since: Dec 2011
My partner and I both play poker and most of our five children have played with us at some point. They are 18,15,13, 9 and 4.
None of them picked it up as well as the nine and four year olds.

After a few days of playing on holiday we were playing a hand and the nine-year-old said "Is 3 of a kind better than two pair?"
We said yes and our nine-year-old said. "All in"
My partner and I folded but the four-year-old said "Don't believe you, CALL."

The nine-year-old was running a major physiological buff with her king high and the four-year-old was having none of it and showed down pocket tens for the win.

Don't teach children to play poker. It will ruin your bankroll.

Old
Thu May 08, 2014, 10:35 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klumn View Post
My partner and I both play poker and most of our five children have played with us at some point. They are 18,15,13, 9 and 4.

After a few days of playing on holiday we were playing a hand and the nine-year-old said "Is 3 of a kind better than two pair?"

The nine-year-old was running a major physiological buff with her king high and the four-year-old was having none of it and showed down pocket tens for the win.

lol.......lov it.........hiccup

Old
Thu May 08, 2014, 10:51 AM
(#4)
Since: May 2013
Even Krishnamurti played poker. If you know Krishnamurti, that says much about the game.

Old
Thu May 08, 2014, 12:20 PM
(#5)
Since: Nov 2012
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klumn View Post

Bluffing without fear! - possibly because playing for buttons

Put their pocket money on the line or something important, I bet you they would become super-nit!

Old
Sat May 10, 2014, 12:07 AM
(#6)
Since: Mar 2011
I once taught my cousin in a similar way to yourself

Well she beat me quite often and it was usually with a bluff

But the thing was I didnt even teach her bluffing

We had fun but kept forgetting to increase the blinds

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com