Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Importance of Sticking to plan

Old
Importance of Sticking to plan - Thu May 08, 2014, 06:50 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2012
Ok so i've reviewed my cash game brm strategy and i'm wondering how important it is to stick to my decisions.

After 7 months and a monster profit of $2.37 or so and a discussion with a fellow member i decided my previous strategy of Sitting with the min buy-in, trebling up then leaving, also if i lost i'd leave too, was working to the fact i'm not losing money which is always a good thing, but may also be hampering my chances of making regular, profits.

The tune up was to swich it around so i still sit with the min, But instead of trebling up i sit til +50%. So my current level is $0.01/$0.02 so buy in is $0.80 and my exit point is $1.20. The last couple of days is starting to pay off as today i've already won on 3 tables.

But the last table i doubled up to $1.58 and i can't help wonder if maybe i should have waited and played down to $1.20 for the possiblity of winning more if that makes sense.

So How important is it that i stick to my strategy? And how should i go about deciding otherwise if i spot an opportunity for earning more.

Opinions would be appreciated.

Old
Thu May 08, 2014, 07:03 PM
(#2)
Since: May 2013
Here's some tips I've picked up.
Always buy in for the full amount.Have auto top up on to replenish ANY loss. We want to maximise our potential. 100 bb + poker is for big pot hands.
We play suited connectors and PP's for this reason.
Also, suited cards give us tons more semi bluffing opportunities. When you are 50 bb shallow, You're all in by the turn. We can't play proper poker. We can't raise that red line.
Try and only use 5% of bankroll on one play. I think this is extreme at 2nl but it serves as a guide for leaving when doubling up.
Don't play 300 bb deep till you can afford to lose it.
Also , play zoom until you build a bankroll. People don't care when you double up , leave, then rebuy.

Old
Thu May 08, 2014, 08:55 PM
(#3)
Tnx awmm83. I tnk i'll have to leave that advice until i'm a bit more sure of myself in my play though.

I sit with min because i still get too attached to certain hands. I lose so much with them that by sitting with min i in a way control how much i can lose. Once my decision making process improves i can see the benefit of sitting full ring.
Zoom i stay away from. i jst can't get away with it. unable to build a table image or read anyone, just playing the cards is not my style.

Unsure of what you meant by 5% of br in one play. I tnk you mean 5% of br to buy into table, if so i usde the 50 buy in rule for finding my level.

What i was more after is, Having drawn my br plan, should i stick rigid until i'm comfortable i know how to spot a profitable table or should i build a bit more flex in it. For example, If my leaving goal is $1.20 and i double up to $1.60 pretty quickly should i play a bit more with a stop loss of $1.20 or should i stick to plan?

Tnx for imput though will come in usefull when i learn a bit more

Old
Fri May 09, 2014, 10:20 AM
(#4)
face cards are only pretty.Especially the hearts. Oh , this AJs looks so lovely , i simply must call.
I like to think of it like a battle. I'm sending out my QTs to scout, If they run into danger ( 3 bet), I'll retreat. If someones raised I don't want my QTs to have to face hand to hand combat on the back foot. But if there's a raiser and a caller, I'll look to ambush and see a nice pot .This thinking helps for offsuit cards too. If i'm sending my Jack to war, i want him to have armour. If I have JTo before the CO in 6 max, i'm mucking. JTs i'm preparing his warhorse and polishing his Valerian steel sword.

Old
Fri May 09, 2014, 11:19 AM
(#5)
On the 5% thing. It means if you have , say $80, in your roll, You really shouldn't sit with more than
$4 at the table. You can't lose that $4 in one play. Losing set vs set or however you lose it, it's a critical loss.

Old
Sat May 10, 2014, 01:39 AM
(#6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by awmm83 View Post
On the 5% thing. It means if you have , say $80, in your roll, You really shouldn't sit with more than
$4 at the table. You can't lose that $4 in one play. Losing set vs set or however you lose it, it's a critical loss.
Yeah i play the 50 buy in rule. Unfortunately i'm still trying to scrape my first 50 together hehe. I'm just over 12 now but i get what you mean.

Would i be right in thinking i should try and shy away from big confrontations and actually be happy with taking small pots little and often until my roll is up a bit?

I do get frustrated sitting for ages with no action but then again when that happens i tend to lose my whole buy in on a flip. Other day it was AK trumped my AQ after both flopping an A. somehow figure that since there'd been no table action for ages i had to be ahead

Looks like another tweak needed sigh.

Old
Sat May 10, 2014, 08:13 AM
(#7)
This is why I play zoom. If I want a slower game I'll play an mtt . Zoom I can play good cards. And they come fast. Zoom also gives you lots of dataming. Records all data from all tables you've sat at, even when you autofold and move on.
Sent from my HTC Rhyme S510b using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by awmm83; Sat May 10, 2014 at 08:28 AM..

Old
Sun May 11, 2014, 02:29 AM
(#8)
I've played zoom a couple times but tbh it's the speed that bugs me. I normally have a min of 1stt, 1 cash and 1 mtt's. depending on time of day and how well i'm doing my mtt's can spike at 5 or 6 at once so the fast pace of zoom bugs me as i can literally click fold 40 times in a minute. I prefer a slower game.
I suppose it's good if i only want to play cash game for a bit. Maybe i'll give it a shot once i get this roll up but atm i'll stay away from zoom.

So if i got this right. You fold a hand on zoom and pt4 or hm2 will collect the rest of the hand even though you probs 4 or 5 hands ahead by now?

Old
Sun May 11, 2014, 06:55 AM
(#9)
Zoom is really good for fpp's. It's also good for training. I used to dislike 3 betting. After 6 max zoom and knowing the reason why I 3bet in the first place , it's water off of a ducks back. Ps I would advise you stick to 1 game only. If you want to plays tournies and cash you need seperate bankrolls. That $ 1.50 buy in could be 750 hands worth of cash wins running at 10bb / 100 . Use your fpps for satellites If you want some fun. The 10 man hypers , I won 3 yesterday, $3 . Think of how far you'd need to run in a freeroll or a VIP tournament to win even $3.

Old
Sun May 11, 2014, 02:51 PM
(#10)
Yeah i think i'm gonna shy away from zoom unless i find myself wanting to grind cash only for the day or session. I already have 3 separate br's for cash, mtt's and stt's so my rolls don't conflict

Old
Mon May 12, 2014, 06:08 PM
(#11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thephoenix11 View Post
Yeah i think i'm gonna shy away from zoom unless i find myself wanting to grind cash only for the day or session. I already have 3 separate br's for cash, mtt's and stt's so my rolls don't conflict
awmm83=donkey

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com