Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

[B]5NL Zoom: River Bet Sizing With 345BB Effective Stack[/B]

Old
[B]5NL Zoom: River Bet Sizing With 345BB Effective Stack[/B] - Thu May 08, 2014, 09:06 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
The villain has the effective stack. I usually do not play deeper than 300bb, but I had caught a quick heater. On the turn I range the villain on AT, 77, KQ, QJ, AJ with the J being a club, JTcc, T9cc, and KJ. A first glance calling the turn bet maybe a mistake, because I'm not getting the correct pot odds if he has a straight or flush, and the Jc may not be an out. But I have extra outs if he only has 2 pair, and the implied odds are big - or so I thought - if the river hits my hand. On the other hand TPTK may be good here, and he is just putting me to a difficult decision.

I know that when you are this deep you have to elevate the hand strength that you are willing to stack off with. You should be certain that you have the best holdings. Sets can be problematic when this deep.

Dave has convinced me that re-raising the minimum looks too strong. So, was this river bet also too small? Should I have shoved the river instead? Should I have re-raised the turn? It seemed like a very bad idea at the time, but it would have set up an easier river play.

If there was no reasonable expectation for the river re-raise to be called, does that mean that the implied odds were not in my favour? He probably decided to 'bet/fold the river for value.' In fact, could I only win the minimum, but lose the maximum?

Old
Thu May 08, 2014, 10:01 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
** moved to Basic Poker Hand Discussions **

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri May 09, 2014, 10:48 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokyPokyToo View Post
** moved to Basic Poker Hand Discussions **
I'm not sure I understand the criteria for the location of this thread.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com