Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

10NL zoom 6m - bottom set 150bb wondering what to do

Old
10NL zoom 6m - bottom set 150bb wondering what to do - Fri May 09, 2014, 06:21 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2013
Villain unknown.

Q: Good play here would be?

Turn I probably should bet after he checks, but then again if he raises I think folding would be optimal, also now when he X maybe something like KJ, KQ is his hand. I was a bit lost after his raise OTF.

PokerStars Zoom No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://flopturnriver.com/

Button ($9.41)
SB ($17.23)
BB ($17.52)
Hero (UTG) ($14.57)
MP ($15.74)
CO ($37.70)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 7, 7
Hero raises to $0.30, 3 folds, SB calls $0.25, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.70) 9, K, 7 (2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $0.45, SB raises to $1.50, Hero calls $1.05

Turn: ($3.70) A (2 players)
SB checks, Hero checks

River: ($3.70) 6 (2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $2.35

Last edited by braveslice; Fri May 09, 2014 at 06:26 PM..

Old
Fri May 09, 2014, 06:57 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2012
At 10NL I don't see the need to get cute here, if he is bluffing flop, he will often give up on the turn once we call. He possibly just thinks we are sticking out our standard cbet etc and is betting to get us off it. He should never have KK here really as I think it will raise.

I would simply 3bet him on the flop and be looking to stack off against Kx. If he has nothing, then readless, I presume as above that he will just give up on the turn.

As played, bet turn.

As played, river bet is good, if he comes over the top then we have a decision to make on how likely it is that he backdoored a flush.

Old
Sat May 10, 2014, 03:52 AM
(#3)
bhoylegend,

In your opinion, how deep we need to be so that playing for stacks on dry board turns to a mistake?

Old
Sat May 10, 2014, 04:51 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2012
That probably differs for most people.

I kind of have a fixation for playing big pots with big hands but I guess you are approaching that point when at the stack depth you are. For me, we're still not there though, 150+ is the point where you are getting closer to losing 'two stacks' but I still think stacking off with a set on that stack depth is fine. So probably upwards of 165-170+ for me personally.

I don't think there was anything wrong with the way you played it BTW. I've just seen enough random spew wtih KJ type hands and K9/K7 type hands to justify getting more money in.

If we thought he was an aggressive bluffer I would be very happy to just call, call and if the river is a good card then make a value raise

Old
Sat May 10, 2014, 07:02 AM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2010
Hi Braveslice

When I first read the title of the hand, I thought it was one of those spots where we x/r bottom and end up bloating the pot against a bigger set :P

Here I think we have to consider SB's range. I don't see many players flatting an UTG open from SB with too many marginal hands so in my eyes, we are likely to see hands like AK/AQ, QQ-22, KQs in their calling range.
If this was BB, then I think we can have more hands in their range because of the odds they get - they might also consider slow playing AA/KK but its more likely we see a 3bet with AA/KK from the SB. But anyway, when they do x/r this flop their hand looks like AK/99. The flop is pretty dry also so even a hand like 99 might x/c flop, x/r turn. The point is, there should not be many hands they x/r this flop with - I think most players would have a 100% x/c with any Kx, even sets. So I'm happy with calling the flop raise and I don't see too many reasons to re-raise here since we are probably going to get another bet from them with made hands anyways and we don't want to give them a reason to fold a KQ type of hand which we would probably get an extra bet from on later streets. As played, I would bet the turn and not plan to fold since there are more combos of AK in their range than 99. Even if you add KK then our hand has 55% equity OTT against KK, 99, AK. Add AA into their range and we just fall 3% short of even money.

Old
Sat May 10, 2014, 07:59 PM
(#6)
Thx geo and legend

geo, I do understand by letter what you are saying, but most likely I should widen my poker thinking to grasp it. Have read you answer now many times =)

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com