Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

I folded a full house!

Old
I folded a full house! - Sun May 11, 2014, 09:53 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011

It is the 15th hand of a $1 45player tourney. My main bad guy stats to date are 40/0/AF-2.3 over the 15 hands.

The hand is limped and I check my option in the BB.

Flop: I'm out first and my flush draw is nothing special so I check.

Turn: The turn offers me a pair to go along with my flush draw so i take a stab at the pot and get a caller. My raise was to gain some value if my flush hit on the end with added fold equity. As I saw it.

River: I land a full house. I figure that I can get some value from him if he holds an A and size my bet small because of the scary looking board.

I think about the line he took and he could be slow playing an 8 or even AA. Having watched him for most of the tourney after this hand. I can tell you that he is a habitual Slow player who will shove all of a sudden on the river. I only saw it show down once but he had what his bet represented.

Old
Sun May 11, 2014, 10:22 AM
(#2)
Since: May 2013
The odds of a boat vs boat happening are nanoscopic. Also, you really need to know someone's game very well to make a read like that. In a tournament you simply cannot wait around for another chance and you were holding an absolute monster. If I hit tptk in a tournament I'm ready for the exit door. If there's a level playing field in even a 45 man mtt then my odds of winning are 1 in 45. I expect to go out. That's what makes a deep run so satisfactory.

Old
Sun May 11, 2014, 12:26 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Klumn!

I liked the way you played the hand minus one thing.... the bet sizings.

With 2 opps, a standard bet is 2/3 pot, so this is the sizing that I need to make.. no more, no less.

The river bet is against one opp, so since a standard bet is 1/2 pot, that is the bet I'm going to make.. no more, no less.

The line of betting too small on the turn, then too big on the river just screams 7x.. so it leaves the opp an opportunity to bluff with Ax or try a large raise for value if they have an 8. Either way, 7x should be folding.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

P.S. Overvaluing TPTK is a huge leak that many players have.. and one that needs to be plugged.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com