Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

2nd deposit, What should i do?

Old
2nd deposit, What should i do? - Mon May 12, 2014, 06:42 AM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2014
Hello, im fairly new to poker, and wish to make my 2nd deposit. Since im new i dont want to make a huge deposit, so im just putting in about 30 dollars. Im wondering, how should i approach with such a small deposit. My question is, what should i do? Should i deposit my money with poker stars? Or should i deposit my money somewhere else where i can get a bonus.. And what should i play?

Old
Mon May 12, 2014, 06:49 AM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2013
The bonuses for starting micro players are usually just marketing gimmicks, so I would not worry about that at all.

Easiest game I know is 2NL NLHE full ring regular.

I do know that some players and books are recommending limit poker too, but its different beast than NLHE.

Old
Mon May 12, 2014, 06:52 AM
(#3)
Since: Nov 2012
BronzeStar
I don't play anywhere but PS, this puts me at a disadvantage with all of the deals going on but even similar sites like Full Tilt, I just don't like the interface and when you have to stare at it for hours at end, it has to be appealing right?

There is the 100k freeroll that if you aren't chromestar (who get it for free) you can get access too for 30 days. Depending on if you used the 100% reload bonus, that is available too.

Also, in the cashier section under Bonuses, there are sometimes some offers that popup there. The last one I did was the facebook freeroll, it was just a 1-off freeroll but the prize pool was chunky and there were no other bonuses going on.

To me, $30 is huge so I guess it is a matter of perspective (lol)

Good luck with your decision

Old
Mon May 12, 2014, 09:38 AM
(#4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by braveslice View Post
The bonuses for starting micro players are usually just marketing gimmicks, so I would not worry about that at all.

Easiest game I know is 2NL NLHE full ring regular.

I do know that some players and books are recommending limit poker too, but its different beast than NLHE.
Yeah, thats what i was thinking about. Last time i played i fancyed the Deep Ante 2NL NLHM, but at the same time i felt that my money started dropping really fast. And then i made the mistake of joining 10NL and i lost all of my money in 3 hands... But, i dont know if this is normal. But i lost one hand with Full House, to 4 of a kind twice, and the third hand i got str 10 to A on the flop.. I went all inn, and was called. The other dude got flush, with one card on his hand.. He didnt even have a pair on the flop..

Iv used up my first time 100% bonus, I also want to join the Poker League here.. I have one ticket, so i just have to pay the fee now to join.

Old
Mon May 12, 2014, 09:59 AM
(#5)
Since: May 2013
I remember getting a $20 reload bonus about 6 months ago. I think I found it on Pokerschool tbh. I can't remember But I did get it

Ps Don't use other sites. No traffic, terrible GUI, potential Bots and no datamining .And some might run away.....seriously .
Pokerstars is the only show in town. Even full tilt's a bit childish,graphically, but it's the only other site I would recommend.

Last edited by awmm83; Mon May 12, 2014 at 10:10 AM..

Old
Mon May 12, 2014, 10:02 AM
(#6)
I have never played Limit but i think all us that started with NL lose out on a lot of foundational work that Limit players have mastered. I will have to learn it one day. King Yao's Poker Brain isn't too large. I should read it.

No fold equity though

Old
Mon May 12, 2014, 10:43 AM
(#7)
Since: Jan 2012
If you decide to deposit on Pokerstars I'd recommend you to play 2NL cash tables, there's plenty of information around so you can beat that stake. You could check ArtySmokesPS's blog for a guide about the ABC of 2NL http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/blogs/ArtySmokesPS

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Old
Mon May 12, 2014, 10:56 AM
(#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mute07 View Post
If you decide to deposit on Pokerstars I'd recommend you to play 2NL cash tables, there's plenty of information around so you can beat that stake. You could check ArtySmokesPS's blog for a guide about the ABC of 2NL http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/blogs/ArtySmokesPS

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Thanks, i will read threw it So now, that i have made a deposit.. is there anyway to find out how im playing after a while? I want to get good, and fast :=)

Old
Mon May 12, 2014, 11:04 AM
(#9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by awmm83 View Post
I have never played Limit but i think all us that started with NL lose out on a lot of foundational work that Limit players have mastered. I will have to learn it one day. King Yao's Poker Brain isn't too large. I should read it.

No fold equity though
Im not sure if limit holdem is the thing for me :P Does it favour beginners?

Old
Mon May 12, 2014, 11:46 AM
(#10)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Pipeomatic!

Are you playing tourneys or ring games?

For tourneys, standard bankroll management is that I need to have 100 buy-ins for any game that I'm going to play. For example, if I have $55 in my account, then I can play any games at 55 cents or below.

For playing ring games, I want to have at least 20 buy-ins, preferably 50 in my bankroll. Use 2NL for example. When playing a ring game, I always buy-in for the maximum allowed and always wait for the button to start playing. For 2NL, I buy-in for $2, so I would need to have at least $40, but preferably $100 in my bankroll.

If I do not follow these bankroll rules, then I risk busting my bankroll... something that I want to avoid.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon May 12, 2014, 12:15 PM
(#11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Hi Pipeomatic!

Are you playing tourneys or ring games?

For tourneys, standard bankroll management is that I need to have 100 buy-ins for any game that I'm going to play. For example, if I have $55 in my account, then I can play any games at 55 cents or below.

For playing ring games, I want to have at least 20 buy-ins, preferably 50 in my bankroll. Use 2NL for example. When playing a ring game, I always buy-in for the maximum allowed and always wait for the button to start playing. For 2NL, I buy-in for $2, so I would need to have at least $40, but preferably $100 in my bankroll.

If I do not follow these bankroll rules, then I risk busting my bankroll... something that I want to avoid.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)
I love tournaments I dont think i have been in one without exeeding the best 10% But mostly freerolls, and very cheap sit n gos Tourneys is an option for me. Atm i have 42.55 dollars on my bankroll, what tournaments should i do? I like 2 NL, what do you think is best. 1 table or many at the same time? What good tournaments are there at 40 cents?

Last edited by Pipeomatic; Mon May 12, 2014 at 12:17 PM..

Old
Mon May 12, 2014, 12:25 PM
(#12)
PokerStars - $0.02 NL - Holdem - 9 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4: http://www.pokertracker.com

Hero (BB): 178 BB
UTG: 55.5 BB (VPIP: 13.33, PFR: 13.33, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 15)
UTG+1: 92 BB (VPIP: 33.33, PFR: 9.52, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 22)
UTG+2: 36.5 BB (VPIP: 7.14, PFR: 4.76, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 43)
MP: 100 BB (VPIP: 25.00, PFR: 5.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 41)
MP+1: 205 BB (VPIP: 26.32, PFR: 16.07, 3Bet Preflop: 6.67, Hands: 58)
CO: 133 BB (VPIP: 72.22, PFR: 22.22, 3Bet Preflop: 20.00, Hands: 19)
BTN: 100 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 2)
SB: 128.5 BB (VPIP: 15.25, PFR: 8.62, 3Bet Preflop: 14.29, Hands: 60)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 6h Ad
fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, CO calls 1 BB, BTN raises to 2 BB, fold, Hero calls 1 BB, CO calls 1 BB

Flop : (6.5 BB, 3 players) As 3s Qs
Hero checks, CO checks, BTN bets 3 BB, Hero calls 3 BB, fold

Turn : (12.5 BB, 2 players) 6s
Hero checks, BTN checks

River : (12.5 BB, 2 players) 2s
Hero bets 173 BB and is all-in, fold

Hero wins 12 BB

My question is.. Would this be split? Or how does a flush work?

Old
Mon May 12, 2014, 12:54 PM
(#13)
Since: Oct 2011
If you don't know how a flush works, then spend a lot of time ztudying the PSO coursework before risking any real money.

If the board contains 5 cards of the same suit and you have none in your hand, villain will win if he has any spade in his hand that beats the lowest one on the board. So on A3Q62 all spades, he'll win if he holds the 4s, since his 5-card hand will be AQ643.

It's a big mistake for you to shove your whole stack in there, when a half pot bet will achieve the same result. If villain has a spade, he'll call (so you lose a half pot bet, not your whole stack) and if he has no spades, he'll fold.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon May 12, 2014, 01:00 PM
(#14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
If you don't know how a flush works, then spend a lot of time ztudying the PSO coursework before risking any real money.

If the board contains 5 cards of the same suit and you have none in your hand, villain will win if he has any spade in his hand that beats the lowest one on the board. So on A3Q62 all spades, he'll win if he holds the 4s, since his 5-card hand will be AQ643.

It's a big mistake for you to shove your whole stack in there, when a half pot bet will achieve the same result. If villain has a spade, he'll call (so you lose a half pot bet, not your whole stack) and if he has no spades, he'll fold.
Yeah i realized i could have lost big. For some reason i thought it was a split.. Thanks for the info, I will not do that mistake again

Old
Mon May 12, 2014, 01:13 PM
(#15)
What are good cheap tournaments?

Old
Mon May 12, 2014, 01:22 PM
(#16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeomatic View Post
Im not sure if limit holdem is the thing for me :P Does it favour beginners?
In terms of losing lots of money quickly, far better for beginners. In terms of ability I would say no. The margins between profit and loss are far, far tighter in Limit. You need to know how to play every street. You can't blow odds out of the water like you can in No Limit. You also see hands develop more often so they are much better hand readers, i would imagine.

I'll add that most people start at NL because it's the game that attracted them to poker. If it's limit that's attracted a player, they're probably an astro-physics undergraduate.

Last edited by awmm83; Mon May 12, 2014 at 01:31 PM..

Old
Mon May 12, 2014, 01:25 PM
(#17)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
For that bankroll, play the quarter MTT and SNG's, then you can move up once you've proven to be a winning player at these.

John (JWK24)

P.S. The first thing I'd do though is to study starting hand ranges and standard bet sizes. These are the building blocks for solid play that will be needed at all levels.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon May 12, 2014, 01:43 PM
(#18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
For that bankroll, play the quarter MTT and SNG's, then you can move up once you've proven to be a winning player at these.

John (JWK24)

P.S. The first thing I'd do though is to study starting hand ranges and standard bet sizes. These are the building blocks for solid play that will be needed at all levels.
I have been studying the hand ranges for each spot on the table, using a hand chart. I dont know if this is a good thing to do.. One thing iv noticed is that it has brought my Vpip to around 28/10 on about 8000 hands. If i have good starting hand, suited connectors, suited gappers, Premium pairs etc, i always raise pre flop. On the button i have much looser raise range, also in cutoff. Although i think i might be very pot committed, and im not so good to read other hands.. Many times iv thought, "Im sure you have the straight, or the full house" but for some reason iv also thought at the same time "What are the chances that you have it.." Only to call, and loose to the hands iv thought he had. On the other hand, iv lost many hands to people having low sets. When i have Overpair + high kicker, and 2 pair with the highest cards. How do you read someone with low sets? Since my last deposit, i have changed my playstyle alot, concidering my range and my position. The most money iv lost is with AA, KK, and the most money iv won is with 10 10 and J J.. I must ask, Is it a good idea to shove with AA KK, or should i slow play it, to reveal possible Str, and flushes?

Old
Mon May 12, 2014, 01:48 PM
(#19)
[QUOTE=Pipeomatic;514707] How do you read someone with low sets?

You really can't

Old
Mon May 12, 2014, 01:53 PM
(#20)
Btw, what do you mean with quarter MTT? 0.25Dollar?

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com