Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

level to play???

Old
level to play??? - Mon May 12, 2014, 09:03 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2013
BronzeStar
hi quick question for the regulars at what level do you recommend playing to get 150 pts monthly regularly by say playing mainly mtt's and a few sng's got a bit of money to put on in a couple of days but want to use it wisely and still be able to reach my target monthly so that i can watch videos on here meant for that level

thanks

Old
Mon May 12, 2014, 09:48 AM
(#2)
Since: Apr 2012
*Moved to more appropriate forum* - Fadyen

What level of games to play is kind of a hard question to answer. It depends on a few factors. One of which being what you can afford and your own personal bankroll management criteria. How much money do you have and is it expendable? What number of buy-ins are you comfortable playing with? I personally use 100 buy-ins for most anything (with occasional shots and some one off bigger buy-in for special events), but other will feel fine using much less. Then we come to skill level. Are you winning at most levels and comfortable playing more skilled opponents? The higher you go the harder to win but it takes then comes the time factor. How often are you playing and how long are your sessions. Obviously if you're only playing once or twice a week for short periods it will be difficult to make the 150 VPPs playing the lowest stakes. Alternately if you play a lot it's easier to make it without getting out of your comfort zone stakes.

Think about this, especially the money and time you have and once you know those numbers you can work out what stakes are enough to make it.

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon May 12, 2014, 11:41 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Haemophile!

Game selection should be made due to bankroll management, NOT vpp's. For tournaments, players should always have 100 buy-ins in their bankroll before playing at a given level. For example, if I have $110 in my bankroll, then I can play tournaments up to $1.10.

VPP's are gained more rapidly at cash games compared to tourneys, but once again there... you have to follow bankroll management there too.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon May 12, 2014, 01:07 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Game selection should be made due to bankroll management, NOT vpp's.
This ^^^.

VPPs are like the reward points you get on a supermarket loyalty card. If you're shopping for groceries, presumably you buy food that represents good value and that is within your budget. You don't spend your entire income on expensive products just because you'll get a ton of loyalty points for them, do you?
Loyalty Points won't feed your children.

Focus on building your roll by playing games you're bankrolled for. The reward points are just a bonus that will accrue as a by-product of playing normally. They are not the aim of the game. Unless you're Supernova+, the monetary value of VPPs is minimal at best.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon May 12, 2014, 02:51 PM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2013
BronzeStar
first of all its not a large deposit (about $80) and im not a multi tabler 3 tables is about my limit the highest tourney ive had a go at is the sunday storm and crashed out just prior to cashing. i have played at all levels below this buy in and cashed a few times. my biggest cash so far was 1st place in a 10FPP $500 guaranteed for $66 and im atrocious at brm.

whats better in your opinion say just start playing a few $1.50 9 man sngs or min stakes cash tables

Old
Mon May 12, 2014, 03:21 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
If you have $80, then only play tourneys that are 80 cents or lower and only 2NL. Anything higher, you risk and will probably bust your bankroll when you hit a variance run.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com