Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

25nl zoom, otr bet/call?

Old
25nl zoom, otr bet/call? - Mon May 12, 2014, 05:46 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
I think our hand is too strong to BET/FOLD here. Your thoughts? Not sure why he didn't shove OTR. I would have called. Is this call a mistake?

Villain: 20/0/0.5 - only 5 hands

Last edited by dirt eh; Mon May 12, 2014 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: took results out.

Old
Mon May 12, 2014, 06:00 PM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2013
I fold here vs an unknown, dunno though maybe he peels AT AJ 9T 67 J9 JT with out the backdoor spades and then reps spades. Dont know its tough everyone has diff ranges for calling the turn. What do you do with AK on the river?

Old
Mon May 12, 2014, 06:06 PM
(#3)
So you don't see smaller sets or rivered 2 pair in their range at all mike? I'd fold AK OTR.

Old
Mon May 12, 2014, 06:08 PM
(#4)
Since: Apr 2010
Well he can't have a set of threes, he probably can't have a set as he would have raised at some point before the river. He probably raises KQ ott, so the question is how often can villain have backdoored a flush?

He definitely can have some combinations, this is a math spot for sure! Having the queen of spades makes it tougher. No qs/xs in calling range on flop. So it's 5sxs or a pretty loose peel otf.

Sucks that we have so little info on villain. I might sigh fold, I might call. We don't know if villain could possibly slow play a set like this, don't know what the correct thing is in a vaccuum.

Old
Mon May 12, 2014, 10:03 PM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2012
With the Qs its a call.

Old
Tue May 13, 2014, 02:10 AM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2011
(Live Trainer)
Being at the top of our range and having the as a blocker are important arguments for calling in this spot not to be exploitable. I wouldn't be worried about this and just think about what seems reasonable at this level vs an average opponentn.

At lower stakes I feel people may raise worse like KQ and lower sets for value enough. The occasional 76s might be in there too, but I guess a backdoorflush will be in the mix fairly often. Especially because of our blocker maybe not often enough to justify folding.

Live Trainer

Old
Tue May 13, 2014, 11:00 AM
(#7)
Since: Jan 2013
You know we block some flushes with the Qs how does that make us more likely to want to call? What does everyone think a good players raising range looks like here, should we have any bluffs on this river if we were the button.

Old
Tue May 13, 2014, 11:34 AM
(#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2198 View Post
You know we block some flushes with the Qs how does that make us more likely to want to call? What does everyone think a good players raising range looks like here, should we have any bluffs on this river if we were the button.
Mike, keep in mind that this villain might not think that he's bluffing. They might be value raising a set here. I've seen villains take pocket 8s and 5s atw to the river on a board like this and then raise the river for value. Look at the board texture... Flop (not scary for a set) Turn (great card for a set, now it's more likely that I have TPTK or KQ) River (blank really, backdoor flush came in but I wouldn't be worried about that if I'm the button)

Old
Tue May 13, 2014, 01:28 PM
(#9)
Just my 2 cents

Your flop bet and turn bet are way to small
What was your plan on the flop with the set?
At what point were you going all in?

The way you played it showed you had not much and all you were doing is playing by the book and c-betting. Look at his stack, he's got you covered, so he can call your tiny bets, hoping to catch.

Sometimes you need to take what you've got, even though it's a small amount, instead of being greedy and losing it all to a flush.

I saw this often on my way to 200NL, some players have big BR and will chase, especially with small bets, they can afford it. Some players don't even care, especially fishies and will call with small pair.

GL

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com