Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Skill League /

skill league/ freeroll question

Old
skill league/ freeroll question - Tue May 13, 2014, 02:00 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2014
is there any actual skill in the poker skill league/freerolls? example, in the poker SKILL league theres 10000 entrants alooot of them go all in with everything and make huge calls and raises with weak or nothing hands, so your forced to either gamble and make the huge bet/go all in with them or try to use strategy but if you do use strategy your going to get blinded out because almost every hand, everybody is going all in or making huge bets with anything-multiple people not just one.

Wheres the skill?

Old
Tue May 13, 2014, 08:06 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2012
BronzeStar
hi ,l am just beginer in poker comynity but l think that all of us must play this lige to make skill.
what skill ?
l think that goal is to play your a game every tournament and on end of lige you will be placed properly your game.
evryone can go all in whit 27 and you have AA and pay this, you will lose sometimes but after hole month you will see that you have win this pot 90% of time and place much better than this guy with 29.
the goal of this lege is to place in top to get ticket to premium leage.
poker is marathon

Old
Smile
Tight is Right - Tue May 13, 2014, 08:07 AM
(#3)
Since: Mar 2013
Hi

The skill for the Open League is in picking your spots in order to last as long as possible. If you play tight, disciplined, patient poker and you will be around a lot longer than those who risk everything early on.

Kev.

Old
Tue May 13, 2014, 08:20 AM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2013
have a look at the history of some of the league leaders. you will see that the consistently finish in the top 10% of the tourney.

its mostly about discipline. For example I folded AA this morning. There was a raise a reraise and 2 calls. I was going to be all in........in a multiway pot. That really knocks the value of my hand. If AA didnt hold i would have went out in around 7000th place. That would have meant losing 20 league points.

There will be better spots. The skill is having the discipline not to think you are entitled because you have AA.

Incidently if i had called i would have won the pot and multipied my stack by 5. I still however maintain i made the correct decision as i went on to finish in 463rd and made about 40 league points. Even if i had blinded out i would have finished around 2000th.

The skill league is about staying in as long as possible. There is very little to gain from fighting for chips in the early levels.

Old
Tue May 13, 2014, 11:02 AM
(#5)
only 20 league points? i remember going like 100-300 points back by going out early 7000th etc in the tourney and jumping 100-300 points when i finish in the top 300-200th etc. Its reassuring if the top leaguers finish consistently near the top. But how do you manage to stay interested during the first 30-50 mins when everybody is going crazy with bets? i find it soo boring pressing fold, fold, for 3 mins straight at times because everybody is going crazy betting

Old
Tue May 13, 2014, 12:38 PM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2013
3 ways.

Have another(or a few) tables(s) open. Having action elsewhere might reduce your need to spin it up the first time you look down at pretty cards.

or,

Spend the time taking notes on the players. It fills the time and even though you think they are shoving with any 2 it can help later. As much as people shove pre you will also find players who 3 bet pre and then completely shut down then fold after the flop. Identifying these players makes them very exploitable if the survive to deeper stacks later in the tourney.

or,

Learn some discipline. You cant question whether there is skill involved because its a shove fest then say you cant stay interested because its boring folding. To my mind those are contradictory statements.

Poker is about adapting to situations and finding as close to an optimal strategy as possible. The open league tourneys in my opinion are a great example of this. To consistently do well in them you need to vary your play to what would normally be classed as a sub optimum style of play. You can't assume that your usual tourney style of play will work. In fact im 100% sure it wont. you have to adapt to this specific situation.

Old
Tue May 13, 2014, 12:52 PM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by etchos View Post
3 ways.

Have another(or a few) tables(s) open. Having action elsewhere might reduce your need to spin it up the first time you look down at pretty cards.

or,

Spend the time taking notes on the players. It fills the time and even though you think they are shoving with any 2 it can help later. As much as people shove pre you will also find players who 3 bet pre and then completely shut down then fold after the flop. Identifying these players makes them very exploitable if the survive to deeper stacks later in the tourney.

or,

Learn some discipline. You cant question whether there is skill involved because its a shove fest then say you cant stay interested because its boring folding. To my mind those are contradictory statements.

Poker is about adapting to situations and finding as close to an optimal strategy as possible. The open league tourneys in my opinion are a great example of this. To consistently do well in them you need to vary your play to what would normally be classed as a sub optimum style of play. You can't assume that your usual tourney style of play will work. In fact im 100% sure it wont. you have to adapt to this specific situation.
+1000000

This league is designed to teach patience. Players that are not patient will not be near the top at the end of the month, as you get severely penalized for early exits.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue May 13, 2014, 01:19 PM
(#8)
if you join a tourney and sit out the whole tournament, will you ever lose points?

Old
Talking
You can't lose if you don't play - Tue May 13, 2014, 04:04 PM
(#9)
Since: Mar 2013
You can sit out the first couple of tourneys each month and make a positive score, but you need to survive the bubble for a good score which you will not do by sitting out. Of course, if you don't play you will also never have a negative score.

Old
Tue May 13, 2014, 04:39 PM
(#10)
Since: Jan 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
+1000000

This league is designed to teach patience. Players that are not patient will not be near the top at the end of the month, as you get severely penalized for early exits.

John (JWK24)
Not too much patience though eh John. Or you'll find you get even more practice whilst waiting for the expiry of your 10 day ban.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slash407 View Post
if you join a tourney and sit out the whole tournament, will you ever lose points?
Yes. But if you play enough tournaments it's possible to amass around 2,000 points by month end. This won't be quite enough to get you into the PSL, so you'll have to put your neck on the line to get the final 100 /200 points required.

Old
Wed May 14, 2014, 02:29 AM
(#11)
i know you wont go up the ranks sitting out, the reason im asking is if say your ranked just under 2000th- the money rankings and its the last few days of the month can you just attend but sit out a couple tournaments to not lose rank and avoid falling outside of 2000th position.

Old
Wed May 14, 2014, 02:58 AM
(#12)
Since: Jan 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by slash407 View Post
i know you wont go up the ranks sitting out, the reason im asking is if say your ranked just under 2000th- the money rankings and its the last few days of the month can you just attend but sit out a couple tournaments to not lose rank and avoid falling outside of 2000th position.
2000th position is alien territory for me, but I'd be amazed if you lost points by sitting out with that rank.

Old
Cool
Tue May 20, 2014, 01:13 PM
(#13)
Since: Aug 2010
PLEASE READ http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...I-turn-it-down

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com