Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

2 ideas for NLHE tournament variations

Old
2 ideas for NLHE tournament variations - Tue May 13, 2014, 04:39 AM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2012
BronzeStar
I was just thinking on these ideas and wondering what anyone thought about them.. Very hypothetical since they will likely never come into fruition

I think back to the Norman Chad "Super Blind" concept and it made me wonder what whacky ideas there were out there

Super Button
The regular rules of position work, however whichever player ended the betting round in the lead gets the Super Button. This Super Button acts last no matter where they are in regular position.

The goal of this would be to encourage a lot of action, aggressive play and where players are out of position they can keep raising, re-raising over and over to get that positional advantage.

The typical scenario would be that someone raises from UTG with AK, they bet and someone raises them, they have a big incentive to re-raise. Also, if someone is in MP, they want position so they re-raise again..

It would be an exciting format!

Countdown
(this would only work online)

As we approach the bubble, typically a preset headcount or time then the Countdown begins. All tables go hand-for-hand and whoever is in the bottom 1% of all players is put all in without a choice by the player.

So in a tournament of 20,000 where the top 3,000 are paid, the Countdown kicks in when 10% are left (300) and the bottom 10% within this range in this case would be 30.

Each of those 30 short stacks are put all-in and let things fall where they may.

This would then continue until the bubble bursts, however the number of players put all-in would adjust with the remaining players.. so when down to 100, only 10 would be put all in and when down to 10, only 1 would be.

This will encourage the bubble to burst fast, will void a lot of tactics that involve exploiting the bubble and would encourage people to act faster before the Countdown for fear of being forced in with bad hands, thus further shortening the bubble period.

-----------------------------

I am not saying that these are the best game concepts ever, I really think that they fall into the "fun" category of tournament types.

Would you like to play in any of these tournament variations?

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com