Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

[2NL, zoom] KK, preflop release

Old
[2NL, zoom] KK, preflop release - Wed May 14, 2014, 03:23 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2014
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Was it correct to lay it down? I mean, I haven't played on Stars for long and I've already lost a few buy-ins holding KK and being crushed preflop.

Old
Wed May 14, 2014, 04:00 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2011
I'd be going with KK here, especially at 2NL, people are going all in with AK and QQ regularly, and you get to have notes on people who go all in with the most crazy cards. Occasionally you run into AA but that's just part of the game.

You shouldn't be folding here ever. Only 1 hand is beating you at the minute. If you don't want to get all in you can call and see a flop in position. But that won't change my play much unless an A comes on the flop in which case I'll be more cautious of AK.

There is a point, although I'm not sure where, that stack size will come into it. Going all in preflop with KK for 500bb is probably a mistake, but for 100-150 you're fine.

Old
Wed May 14, 2014, 04:35 PM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2013
I don’t trust my pokertracker skills, but I hope the ball bark is correct.

My database says…
Player limbed UTG then made 3bet or 4bet or 5bet+, effective stack 75bb+, saw showdown

2NL zoom 6max:
AA 0, KK 1, QQ 0, JJ 1, TT 1, AK 3, others 5

5NL zoom 6max:
AA 2, KK 3, QQ 2, JJ 1, TT 0, AK 1, others 5

Old
Wed May 14, 2014, 04:49 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
The limp-reraise makes me feel sick (it really is aces pretty often), but I'm going broke here, although I'd have an easier decision if I had notes/stats on villain. Occasionally, he'll be spazzing with QQ-TT/AK (or worse!), and you're completely crushing that range. You really shouldn't be getting into the habit of folding kings pre-flop at 6-max; not without a sick read or some amazing multiway action anyway.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 14, 2014, 04:58 PM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2011
If anyone has any idea how to do that sort of filter in HM2 I'd be interested to know, I have absolutely no idea, tried fiddling about and got nowhere. I have like 100k recent hands at 2NL 6max zoom, so might give some reasonable insight as well.

Old
Wed May 14, 2014, 08:01 PM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2010
I agree with what Arty said, although this might be AA a significant amount of the time, any time it isn't AA we're going to make such a huge profit that I don't think folding can be the highest EV decision in this spot.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com