Since: Aug 2011

What I think are relevant stats to the hand, any more required just ask:

Villain (43 hands)
VPIP 35
PFR 26
3bet 12.5
AF 2.5
Fold to Cbet 0

I know it's not a large sample size on the villain but gives a rough idea on the play.

Throughout the whole hand I'm 100% sure than I'm not up against AA, KK, QQ or JJ. I think the best hand in his range is Jx, most likely QJ or JT, possibly suited.

He doesn't like giving up on the flop so I think I'm safe to raise here and many worse hands to call. When the turn comes his bet sizing increases dramatically and at this stage I'm more worried about the straight than the J. But with only the straight possible and no other draws, I decide at this stage that I'm going with the hand, I feel like he is an aggressive player and can have lots of worse hands. But I want to give him a chance to bluff with any air or pairs he has, and also with any busted draws on the river.

Thoughts?

Last edited by craig121212; Wed May 14, 2014 at 06:23 PM..

Old
Wed May 14, 2014, 06:53 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
I don't see how you think you're safe to raise here... This villain is betting into you and you're raising second pair... What "MANY" worse hands are calling here? I only see 1. The one and only hand that the villain actually had.

TBH, I think your flop raise is terrible. The CC OTT is really bad as well. You're committed by this point so you need to go with your hand or release it right here OTT.

I would have much rather seen you just call this type of player ATW with your hand strength here and make a tough call OTR.

Old
Wed May 14, 2014, 08:00 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2011
The flop bet was very small and looked weak, like he wanted a free card or was just trying to take it down easily. It did not seem like a J. Any pocket pair could do this or any flopped pair. Also with the 0 fold to cbet stat that he has, it's clear that he doesn't like letting go of hands on the flop. The sample size isn't very big so he might actually let go on occasion, but it's clear that he is very sticky on flops.

On the turn I did decide I was going with the hand, but there was no value in raising, he would fold a lot of his crap and continue when I'm beat. But I felt like he would continue the river close to 100% of the time no matter what he had. The only hands I think he has on the turn that have me beat are A5 and 65. Maybe 43 or 32. I think there are a lot of hands that hit one pair on the board and possibly picked up a draw on the turn, or just pocket pairs in his range.

Last edited by craig121212; Wed May 14, 2014 at 09:02 PM..

Old
Wed May 14, 2014, 09:22 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
The problem with raising the flop is that he's probably not continuing with pocket pairs that are smaller than TT. When you raise the flop now you're up against Jx, pair and a draw, draws and sets. You narrow his range here a ton by raising the flop. When he bets into you again this worries me and it should worry you too. Obviously this hand comes down to reads on this villain. So I would say you must have a good read on this villain and well played. But I think the way that this hand was played wasn't very good.

Just saying. Just my opinion. Keep in mind there's no need to get fancy at 2nl. HAND READING SKILLS DON'T REALLY APPLY AT 2NL.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com