Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

$1.10 1000-Cap - Middle pair+open straight draw in multi-way pot

Old
$1.10 1000-Cap - Middle pair+open straight draw in multi-way pot - Thu May 15, 2014, 06:52 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
Moderately early in the tourney.

Villain 9 was playing 33/33 over 6 hands, but one of those was a 2.5x raise from early position with T-9s, so he was probably LAG. Villain 3 was 15/13 over 39 hands. Villain 7 was 32/21 over 19 hands.

My initial call was due to the raiser being a perceived LAG, being on the button, and the good pot odds. The flop, however, was a concern - although I did have probably plenty of outs, the strong 2/3 pot bet and call from the tight player gave better pot odds, but made it seem like at least one had a real hand.

Although I am almost certain that my call of the turn shoves was correct (I was almost certainly behind, but I had 19 outs unless someone had a set, so it wasn't too far behind), I am not sure if I played the flop correctly. What is your take on this?

Old
Fri May 16, 2014, 06:13 PM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi Christxof

Calling preflop is fine given our stack depths. When player 9 c bets as large as this I suspect that he almost always has a strong hand that he is trying to protect and villain 2 can have all kinds of pair+gutshot draws so I would call villains c-bet because I think he's the type that will stack off if you do hit your hand and if he doesn't then there's always player 2's money to be had.

I think this is a very interesting spot on the turn and I think that there are arguments to be made about both calling and folding. I would personally fold. I feel that our tournament life is more valuable than the risk we're taking to win the chips that are in the middle.

Cheers,. Chris.

Old
Fri May 23, 2014, 12:54 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
Interesting analysis, Chris. I didn't think that the c-bet call was as clear as that, nor that the turn call wasn't clear-cut. I guess you're right that stack preservation is important - I just feel like in the lower buyins, because of how some players play, accumulating chips takes priority. But I do see the stack preservation importance.

Also, I lost a lot of chips about an hour later in what I think was something like QQ<KK, so no deeprun/cash for me.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com