Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Poker Hand Review - Take that risk?

Old
Poker Hand Review - Take that risk? - Mon May 19, 2014, 12:59 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2012
Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum. I've been using PokerSchoolOnline since 1 year (Part time, obviously) and now I want to practice to become a better poker player!

My favorite game at the moment are STT (1,50$ Fifty50) and MTT (0,25$ 45 player). Since I restart playing poker, with a lot more of studying, I perform very well in my game.
(I've been playing about 5 MTT (Position: 5/45 , 11/45, 15/45, 38/45, ??/45))

The hand I would like to discuss is from one of my MTT game.
At the beginning of the game I made a bad move and I was low stack (About 750 chips, average 2 250+/-) and I rebuild a nice stack being very aggressive (And a little bit too much loose). So at this point, i'm tag like an loose player.

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

I think i made the good move (I don't care of the result) I was BTN and I had a Very strong hand..
My first move was to raise 3Bet. Should I bet more? I think that was a decent amount.

The BB raise All-in (More chip) At this point of the tournament, i don't think i made the right move to call. That's my main question here. Should I call?

Pretty lucky to hit the Straight on this one!

If you want to know, the result of the tournament is a win!!! (My fist 45 player win) I was chip leader almost all the time after this hand, and i played very aggressive)

Thank you for your help!

Old
Tue May 20, 2014, 06:42 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
Hi Spy, welcome to the forums!

In MTTs, that stack to pot ratios are quite low, this means that you can make smaller bets that put a lot of pressure on your opponent's stack. This still allows you to get value with your strong hands but also keeps your bluffs much cheaper.

With everyone sitting on stacks of around 20-30BB, my opening raise size would be either to or 2.5x the big blind, so to somewhere between 400-500. This allows you to steal the blinds more often with a wider range of hands because it is cheaper to fold for the times when you are bluffing.

Getting all in with a 35BB stack with AKo is absolutely fine, particularly as you have had quite a loose reputation. I don't expect villain to just shove with AA/KK, he'd probably 3Bet smaller to try and induce you to shove.

So at worst you're flipping and you'll be dominating his worse Ax easily often enough that this is way too much of a +EV spot to pass up, even though it's putting your tournament life on the line.

Old
Tue May 20, 2014, 09:14 AM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
(Moderator)
Hello Spy

Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Here is a link to help familiarize you with all the features and services available at PSO. Feel free to look around the forum and post any comments or questions you may have.

You are invited to join the PokerSchoolOnline Community Home Games Club. Information on how to join the club may be found HERE. Hope to see you there!

Old
Wed May 21, 2014, 07:49 AM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2012
@wiltshireman: Thank you for the warm welcome! I've been playing 2 Open Skill League tournement and finish 90/10000 and 211/7909! That's awesome, i realy like the PokerSchoolOnline community!

spand42: Thank you very much! That's the kind of information i'm looking for! I'll try to lower my raise to have cheaper bluff (if I need to!)

Old
Wed May 21, 2014, 08:42 AM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2013
I agree with spand42 that you open for too much 400-500 is much more appropriate.

What i don't see in your explanation is any reference to the villain. You discuss your stats....your position....and your action like its happening in a vacuum.

What was the villains tendancies? was he 3 betting wide?

Old
Wed May 21, 2014, 07:16 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I agree and 500 would be my standard bet here. The key for me on my next action is my read of the opp. I have almost enough chips to cash in this already (I aim for a 6-7k stack in the 45's to start with), then go for a top 3 spot in them.

If the opp is extremely loose, then I'm calling with the AK.

If the opp is tighter, I'll let it go and fold to their shove and look for a better spot.

My reasoning is that I do not have a made hand and am very close to having enough chips to cash in the tourney and due to that, I don't need to take an unnecessary risk with an unmade hand.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com