CO: $10.15

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is UTG with 8 9
Hero raises to $0.25, 2 folds, BTN calls $0.25, SB calls $0.20, BB calls $0.15

Flop: ($1.00) 3 J 6 (4 players)
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $0.70, BTN calls $0.70, SB folds, BB folds

Turn: ($2.40) 2 (2 players)
Hero bets $1.70, BTN calls $1.70

River: ($5.80) 8 (2 players)
Hero bets $3.30, BTN raises to $8.33 all in, Hero ???

BTN: 109.8 BB (VPIP: 31.25, PFR: 25.00, 3Bet Preflop: 13.33, Hands: 35)

How do you think about my line & sizing here?

OTR are we ever good? I think folding should save us $$$ most of the time

Old
Tue May 20, 2014, 12:14 PM
(#2)
Since: Apr 2010
Hey grind!

Yeah I think the board helps us here with the fold. We're beating no flushes here. 45cc is a straight flush, 4c7c/5c7c unlikely. Villain has acxc,kcqc,qcjc,etc. Basically he has all better flushes in his range.

I think our range for betting 3 streets is sets, some flushes.

Given the strength we've shown I don't expect villain to be bluffing this spot, think we have to call with some better flushes but not the 9 high.

I would expect villain to raise his sets otf, given the runout if he didn't I don't think he would jam them otr. Also don't think he jams two pair .

Last edited by Paddy Gar; Tue May 20, 2014 at 12:20 PM..

Old
Tue May 20, 2014, 12:18 PM
(#3)
Since: May 2014
45cc is the nuttiest flush lol :P

thanks Paddy

Old
Tue May 20, 2014, 12:21 PM
(#4)
Since: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by grind4f00d View Post
45cc is the nuttiest flush lol :P

thanks Paddy
lol yeah saw that as i re read my post.

I think sizing is fine too btw.

Old
Wed May 21, 2014, 03:08 AM
(#5)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi grind4f00d!

We can encounter players at 10NL who would mistakenly slowplay a set or even an overpair this way. However, this villain is quite aggressive preflop. He would most likely have 3b preflop with a big pair. Looking at his postflop aggression% would help here, but I will assume that he would play a flopped set aggressively on this board as well. This narrows his range to suited connectors and Axs giving him a flush and air. It seems unlikely that he would bluff raise with air on the river since, as Paddy pointed out, your line looks very strong. Thus, we can narrow his range to primarily flushes. There aren't many flushes worse than ours. So, folding to the river raise looks best.

Note: opening from utg with 89s is marginal especially with your small betsize preflop. I prefer to have J10s, but may open smaller if I am targeting a fish in the blinds for example. Also, I open for 3x or 3.5x from utg. If you get 3b you will need to fold. Moreover, you will often get a string of callers at the microstakes as you did here. With suited connectors, this can be a great situation when you flop well. But more often than not, you will be creating a tough postflop situation resulting in a fold. It might be worth checking in your stat tracker to see how profitable you are with medium suited connectors from utg.

Your betsizing on the other streets looks good.

Old
Wed May 21, 2014, 03:10 AM
(#6)
Since: Jan 2012
PS: Welcome to the forum grind4f00d! Keep posting hands and commenting on other peoples. Be sure to check out the video archive and Live Training as well. There is a ton of good stuff here - and it's all free

Roland GTX

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com