Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Please review this hand

Old
Please review this hand - Tue May 20, 2014, 06:14 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
PokerStars Hand #116457273184: Tournament #902702919, Freeroll Hold'em No Limit - Level II (30/60) - 2014/05/20 17:15:22 ET
Table '902702919 814' 9-max Seat #8 is the button
Seat 1: Bonse36 (1600 in chips)
Seat 2: kowal0388 (5860 in chips)
Seat 3: Arnak177 (5760 in chips)
Seat 4: IRT516 (1320 in chips)
Seat 5: Xuxastar (1380 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 6: ricardy (1350 in chips)
Seat 7: zbigniew1313 (1710 in chips)
Seat 8: Bill Curran (1790 in chips)
Seat 9: bauza1 (2690 in chips)
bauza1: posts small blind 30
Bonse36: posts big blind 60
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Bill Curran [Ac Ah]
kowal0388: folds
Arnak177: raises 180 to 240
IRT516 has timed out
IRT516: folds
Xuxastar: folds
IRT516 is sitting out
ricardy: folds
zbigniew1313: folds
Bill Curran: raises 570 to 810
bauza1: calls 780
Bonse36: folds
Arnak177: raises 4950 to 5760 and is all-in
Bill Curran: calls 980 and is all-in
bauza1: calls 1880 and is all-in
Uncalled bet (3070) returned to Arnak177
*** FLOP *** [Jh 9s 2h]
*** TURN *** [Jh 9s 2h] [8s]
*** RIVER *** [Jh 9s 2h 8s] [3c]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
bauza1: shows [Qc Ts] (a straight, Eight to Queen)
Arnak177: shows [Qh Qd] (a pair of Queens)
bauza1 collected 1800 from side pot
Bill Curran: shows [Ac Ah] (a pair of Aces)
bauza1 collected 5430 from main pot
Bill Curran finished the tournament in 5055th place
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 7230 Main pot 5430. Side pot 1800. | Rake 0
Board [Jh 9s 2h 8s 3c]
Seat 1: Bonse36 (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 2: kowal0388 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: Arnak177 showed [Qh Qd] and lost with a pair of Queens
Seat 4: IRT516 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: Xuxastar folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: ricardy folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: zbigniew1313 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: Bill Curran (button) showed [Ac Ah] and lost with a pair of Aces
Seat 9: bauza1 (small blind) showed [Qc Ts] and won (7230) with a straight, Eight to Queen

I made my initial raise to isolate Arnak177 expecting him to put me all in, what I didn't expect was for bauza1, firstly to call my initial raise and then the all in too.
Ignoring the result, did I make the correct play here ? even though this is the Open League.
The next paragraph is what I had observed prior to this hand.

Arnak177 was moved to this table on the second hand in SB position and could not play that hand, first hand for him Played 93s from cut off went all in pre flop, Button called with KK, flop was Ah 3h 8s turn 2h river 3c ,folded the next three hands pre, then went all in UTG+1 and won pre, three hands later in SB played K3o all in pre and was called by HJ with KTo and lost half his stack, three hands later went all in pre again with 66 got two callers and held to win with a pair of 6's next hand went all in pre with 99 against one caller ( the short stack ) his pair held again. two hands later is the one posted.

I watched his game until he was eliminated six hands later and he went all in pre flop each time with ...Ah5h ...Ks3c....6d5d....?? won pre flop...As6d...7d6c....... He lost the A5 to AKs to a K on the flop down from 3070 to 1530 won Ks3c up to 1850 lost 65d to KK Board was AAA63 down to 1000 won preflop next hand up to 1120 won As6d against one caller with 8h6h board was 57762 up to 2360 lost last hand against two caller JdQc and ThJh board was Ah4hAdQs2d

Thanks in advance

By the way, he has been tagged.

Old
Wed May 21, 2014, 06:52 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2013
Its a pretty standard spot in the open skill league. Especially at level 2. Can I ask why you are playing the open skill league tourneys? Are you actually playing the league or are you just trying to scoop up $5 in a freeroll? The answer is hugely relevant in how I think this hand should be played.

For instance if you are playing the league seriously your primary consideration should be your league points. Going out this early in the tournament is a significant negative score. Long term survival is more important than size of stack. Therefore dare I say it folding AA in the face of a raise becomes a viable option. I would certainly be inclined to fold if there had been a caller to the initial raise because in these tournaments that generally indicates that a call will be made even if you shove. AA doesn't play well multiway.

As it stands I think its 50/50 fold or shove. The 3 bet gets you no respect as bet sizing can be largely irrelevant as to whether players in the open skill league will call or not. However it may just be enough to get the villain to fold.

If you are just playing these tournies as freerolls with no interest in the league then its a shove all day everyday. Like I said above the size of the 3bet almost becomes irrelevant with certain players. You will get called. You just hope that's its 1 or 2 players and not the whole table.

The thing to remember is that you want your AA to be called by Q10 off.

Old
Wed May 21, 2014, 09:31 AM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010

Old
Wed May 21, 2014, 03:46 PM
(#4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by etchos View Post
Its a pretty standard spot in the open skill league. Especially at level 2. Can I ask why you are playing the open skill league tourneys? Are you actually playing the league or are you just trying to scoop up $5 in a freeroll? The answer is hugely relevant in how I think this hand should be played.

For instance if you are playing the league seriously your primary consideration should be your league points. Going out this early in the tournament is a significant negative score. Long term survival is more important than size of stack. Therefore dare I say it folding AA in the face of a raise becomes a viable option. I would certainly be inclined to fold if there had been a caller to the initial raise because in these tournaments that generally indicates that a call will be made even if you shove. AA doesn't play well multiway.

As it stands I think its 50/50 fold or shove. The 3 bet gets you no respect as bet sizing can be largely irrelevant as to whether players in the open skill league will call or not. However it may just be enough to get the villain to fold.

If you are just playing these tournies as freerolls with no interest in the league then its a shove all day everyday. Like I said above the size of the 3bet almost becomes irrelevant with certain players. You will get called. You just hope that's its 1 or 2 players and not the whole table.

The thing to remember is that you want your AA to be called by Q10 off.
Thanks for your response,

I am playing the League and try to get into the money on the Leaderboard, but I am not too bothered whether I do or not, as I find it quite instructive playing against these ATC players in the early stages.
I find that it helps a great deal in assessing what hands to play and how to play them in the more conventional tourneys.

I find that as the League tournaments progress, that the quality of play increases and therefore my startegy has to change, almost from level to level.

As most hands in the Open get beyond the flop and a lot get to showdown, it affords me the oppportunity to evaluate what cards, or combinations, actually play well, especially multiway.

I am playing the Open and the Astronomer freerolls to help me identify the various types of player that I will meet in regular tourneys, and hopefully develope strategies for playing each.

I have found that this has helped in my overall performance in tournaments as a whole, as I am now being eliminated from them far later that I used to be.

I have played the League using the timing method and only playing Category one hands, and find that I can reach the top ten percent on the Leaderboard quite easily doing this, but I don't believe that it is improving my overall game any more, which is why I am now trying to play it in a more conventional tournament way.

I was asking the question, was this the correct play ?, as an adjunct to this.

Was my reasoning for the initial raiser valid ? and was my bet sizing of sufficient size for my intention ? which was to isolate the player that appeared to be playing any Broadway card, any two suited and any two connected with all in pre flop.
His bet in UTG+1 suggested to me that he had, what he considered a very strong hand and wanted action, I put him on JJ+, AK, AJs+.

Thanks again. Bill.

Old
Wed May 21, 2014, 07:17 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I'm not letting AA go preflop, even in a league game. If someone wants to shove on me, so bet it as I'm calling with AA, KK and possibly QQ.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com