5nl FR Zoom - AT

Old
5nl FR Zoom - AT - Wed May 21, 2014, 08:34 AM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2013
Hi guys,

Could you please analyse my hand below.

villain stats 17/14/1.7 102 hands

Wow I didn't realise that even against an 14% PFR range ATs is pretty much a coin flip.

Although on this flop, I become a favourite.

I called the flop bet as he could be doing this with a mix of broadway cards. Villain checks the turn, and so to me this looks like he is potentially giving up.

When I bet the turn, can I be called by worse?

Anyways, once he calls my bet, I now think that I will be behind and so I check the river keeping the pot under control.

Cheers,

Matt

Last edited by pullin1988; Wed May 21, 2014 at 11:00 AM..

Old
Wed May 21, 2014, 05:44 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
Flop call is mandatory, turn bet is not. It's not a huge mistake to bet the turn. Indeed, it makes your plan to check back almost all rivers pretty straightforward. In a sense, you bet the turn to get a free showdown. Villain can call with worse on the turn, but his range is mostly draws and Ax hands, some of which you beat and a few you don't. I'd often check the turn to induce a river bluff that I call (or I can value-bet thinly and get called by worse), but many villains are incapable of bluffing the river, so betting the turn expecting to win right there is often OK.

The main concept you need to re-affirm in your mind is showdown value. If you want to get to showdown, because you have a medium strength hand like top pair good kicker, don't keep building the pot. It's often +EV to keep "worse" hands (or weak ranges) in the pot by checking back, even on fairly wet boards.

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Wed May 21, 2014 at 05:47 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com