Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Middle stages of Mtts?

Old
Middle stages of Mtts? - Thu May 22, 2014, 04:03 AM
(#1)
Since: May 2013
SilverStar
I've been looking at my play where I can improve. It seems to me that one of my biggest problems is the middle stage of an MTT.

The purpose of this thread is to ask fllow PSO members, how they like to play in the middle stages of an mtt? (Knowing that there are already set standards on what you should probabpy do.)

I usually dont 't have a problem building up a stack but always hit a roller coaster when I hit this particular stage of an MTT.

So what do yall think?

Old
Thu May 22, 2014, 07:40 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
You'll love this answer, it depends!

If you're short, you need to make sure your shove/fold game is up to scratch and you find opportunities to steal/resteal.

With a 25-50BB stack, again finding good steal spots and picking on the shorties is a useful skill as.

50BB+, I tend to play quite loose and try to be the table bully if I can, enticing villains to make mistakes or let me run them over.

Old
Mon May 26, 2014, 04:18 PM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2013
ChromeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by spand42 View Post
You'll love this answer, it depends!

If you're short, you need to make sure your shove/fold game is up to scratch and you find opportunities to steal/resteal.

With a 25-50BB stack, again finding good steal spots and picking on the shorties is a useful skill as.

50BB+, I tend to play quite loose and try to be the table bully if I can, enticing villains to make mistakes or let me run them over.
I am having the same problem.I get to the cash with a average stack in the privilege freeroll often then it becomes a lottery.I don't flip well.
I play tight aggressive in the early stages however if I do this in the mid/late stage the blinds eat my stack.So it comes down to luck.

Old
Mon May 26, 2014, 04:21 PM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2013
ChromeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommysgotAs View Post
I've been looking at my play where I can improve. It seems to me that one of my biggest problems is the middle stage of an MTT.

The purpose of this thread is to ask fllow PSO members, how they like to play in the middle stages of an mtt? (Knowing that there are already set standards on what you should probabpy do.)

I usually dont 't have a problem building up a stack but always hit a roller coaster when I hit this particular stage of an MTT.

So what do yall think?
I am having the same problem.I get to the cash with a average stack in the privilege freeroll often then it becomes a lottery.I don't flip well.
I play tight aggressive in the early stages however if I do this in the mid/late stage the blinds eat my stack.So it comes down to luck.

Old
Mon Jul 07, 2014, 09:24 AM
(#5)
Since: Mar 2014
Play tight, depends on your stack lets say you at a table with similar stack sizes, I use my table image and position to steal pots depending on the action..

really you just want to play tight, and i mean tight so for example your first to act you have ace jack i just fold, wait for a better spot sometimes i see people who have made it to the money and are deep in the tournament playing the same way they were when they first started, raising with small suited connectors calling a reraise. look for the loose players steal blinds get you chips in good..

Old
Thumbs up
Wed Jul 09, 2014, 02:35 PM
(#6)
Since: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommysgotAs View Post

So what do yall think?
I think the middle stage is easy then bubble and final table, because there is very good advices for this and early phase, and also for HU on MTTs.
first you should know Tournament's Hand categories, because there is different from cash hand selection on nine handed table. on early stages play with only 1,2-categorie if there are limpers or raisers. and 3,4-categorie if you are on BTN or CO and no limpers, no raiser.
and on middle stage it depands on stack sizes: more than 10BB, 5-10BB, less than 5BB.
if you are in first section, you can play with 7 categories, but it depands, your position and actions before you.
so this everything is in pokerschool, but I wanted said that bubble phase is harder. there is very expand advices, for example we should attack on weak (tight) players in bubble phase. but what hand categories from wich position play is not explained exactly. I think if you will use on early and middle stage this advices you will grow up your perfomance in long term.
GL GL GL

Old
Mon Aug 18, 2014, 03:22 PM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2013
Hey

Hmm, middle stages, how can you perceive middle stage ?
I think, as spand42 explained, this is a rather dubious question.
Generally, without being very specific, you should plan to be above M 10 (Harrington's M) for every 3 levels to come. This is a hard thing to do and going into details make the contents of whole books (Harrington's books seem to be most useful for beginners) .

Regards,
Bogdan

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com