Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Getting a lot of bad beats with lousy hands

Old
Getting a lot of bad beats with lousy hands - Fri May 23, 2014, 01:44 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2012
I play sit n gos at the 1.50 levels, recently I've been doing well but I have days like today were I get a lot of bad beats. For example raising 5 times the bb with KK and getting a call with 68 and the other player flops the straight (of course I never put that player with a 68) and lose big time and today I've had like 6 or 7 like this getting me out of the sitngo or getting me seriously down at the sitngo.

I was wondering if this is common at the higher levels or if this has something to do with the fact that I'm playing at the lowest level. Just wanted to know if I have to get used to this.

Old
Fri May 23, 2014, 03:02 PM
(#2)
Since: Apr 2013
Hi,

In terms of bad beats, I believe that you will suffer with just the same amount of bad beats, but will present itself in a way where villains werent necessarily making really bad plays.

For instance, you have AA and villain has KK. You both go all-in, and villain ends up making a set with his KKs.

e.g. KK vs 68o Roughy 80% vs 20%

e.g AA vs KK Roughly 80% vs 20%

Villains get there with there 20%

In essence, you have to accept that it will happen at all levels, but in the case of KK vs 68o, you want to think this is the sort of
Villain you want to play against, a spew monkey where you can more money in the long run, than probably at the higher stakes where villains are playing more optimally - easier said than done I grant you that.

Cheers,

Matt

Last edited by pullin1988; Fri May 23, 2014 at 03:06 PM..

Old
Fri May 23, 2014, 03:41 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Famo8611!

With any hand that I'm going to play, I want to be making standard bets. At lower blinds, that's to 3BB+1BB for each limper. I do not want to make larger raises with my better hands. Players that do this (or bet lower with marginal hands) are basically turning their hand face-up to an observant opponent, as this is very easily exploitable.

For example, if I know they have only high cards, then I want to be playing lower cards against them. I'm not saying that playing 68o is the correct play, but in general, I want to be playing the opposite style as my opponent.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Bad Beats - Sat May 24, 2014, 01:20 PM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2014
I am also playing at the micro levels and have had the same experience but decided to really start keeping track of it. With me I have found that I REMEMBER the bad beats that I lose a lot more than I remember the times that I have gotten the card on the river that gives me the hand when I should have lost. What I am trying to say is that I have found that if I am honest with myself that it goes both ways and try and learn from it and know that if I stick with everything I have learned that in the long run as long as I am really making the right plays I win more than lose.

Old
Sat May 24, 2014, 03:50 PM
(#5)
Since: Jan 2013
You should just forget about these spots and don't worry about losing as long as you made the correct play its fine. When i lose a pot i don't even think about it i go onto the next hand and keep playing then at the end of the session i look at those pots and see if i made the wrong play if i think i did i try to fix it if i didn't i laugh and tag the guy as a fish and hopefully see him another day and value bet away.

I used to get annoyed as well with some of these spots when i first started playing poker but ive never let it tilt me but now i don't even think about them especially with the peanuts amount of money most of us play with, i can understand a 50nl player tilting after getting stacked by a fish twice in a row but at the lower stakes the money is nothing its just a place to learn so don't waste time thinking about bad beats and just practice your game. Your find it easier to play when your not thinking about how much money your up or down.

Old
Tue May 27, 2014, 04:40 PM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by billnmex View Post
I am also playing at the micro levels and have had the same experience but decided to really start keeping track of it. With me I have found that I REMEMBER the bad beats that I lose a lot more than I remember the times that I have gotten the card on the river that gives me the hand when I should have lost. What I am trying to say is that I have found that if I am honest with myself that it goes both ways and try and learn from it and know that if I stick with everything I have learned that in the long run as long as I am really making the right plays I win more than lose.
Hi billinmex.

Totally standard to remember the bad beats more than remember when the hand plays out as expected,everyone does this. Human nature.

That you've made the breakthrough into recognizing this as early in your journey as you have bodes very well for you,as this is a big step in understanding, and even more importantly accepting, that variance is a part of the game and can't be avoided.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com