Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

What is my mistake !

Old
What is my mistake ! - Sat May 24, 2014, 01:22 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
It's Saturday Countdown $22 [120 mins] Time tournament. Just started. 15mins blind level 50/100 and 3000 starting stack (So only 30BB to start with), which means I can't just keep folding.

People are saying :
1) I made mistake by opening loose.
2) I should have shoved over his flop donk bet.
3) I was just bluff catching when he shoved turn for no reason on dry board.

I don't think he would over-bet shove turn if he had trip 5's or 22's full. That's my reasoning to call, could be wrong also. Rest you can tell me what are my mistakes Sir John.

PS: Don't think I am whining about the bad beat as it's part of the game. I am just concerned with the pre-turn play.

STATS :

Last edited by adikumar2010; Sun May 25, 2014 at 09:10 AM..

Old
Sun May 25, 2014, 01:04 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi adi,

I guess I will address your people, as it's nice to have people.

Quote:
1) I made mistake by opening loose.
Probably, a tad. We have no reads yet and if we get loose action behind us we'll not be in too many great post flop spots. The open is not terrible or anything, I'm all for an aggressive CU/BU opening strategy, but it might be better if we had a bit bigger cards, better big hand potential (like suited and more connected), or some idea of who we are dealing with behind us so we can make informed decisions later in the hand.

Quote:
2) I should have shoved over his flop donk bet.
I'm not really down with the people here. Our hand strength isn't going to fare well if he calls our shove, i.e. not many worse hands can call. We're basically targeting J9/T9/98 (which would be pretty huge spews for him to call off with if we shove, our entire value range is beating those). This is where reads would be nice... if the villain was a huge fish that would snap it off with any pair in this spot, then shoving is fine. Sans reads it's marginal imo. In your shoes I would probably call his donk bet and use my positional advantage to make a more informed turn decision.

Quote:
3) I was just bluff catching when he shoved turn for no reason on dry board.
Yes, I think the call is fine. He is not just bluffing (he's not overbet shoving... you have less than a pot sized bet left), he can shove for value with 5x (which would be my real concern here, after you raised flop) and he might be going with 9x but sometimes have K9 or A9. A hand like TT isn't out of the question. 22 I think we can rule out 100%. Because he chose to call your flop raise, and not 3b the flop. Anyone with a set who just calls your flop raise, will check the turn to you 99.9% of the time when they boat up as their hand feels totally safe now. So the real concern is that he's just determined to go with K9, or has luckboxed a 5. But again with you raising the flop, I would expect 5x to check/shove on you, not open shove. So in short your sense that it smells funny, I think is right on, it smells funny to me too.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun May 25, 2014, 02:28 PM
(#3)
As we know weak player mostly donks with pair or draw on the flop, so basically when they catch piece of the board they like to donk small amounts. "They don't donk to fold to a raise I think you told us in one of the trainings."

Plus if they choose to donk with middle pair or bottom pair, if you raise them everytime on the flop they seem to think for no reason that you are trying to push them around and bluffing so that can't let go of there pair most of the time, that's the reason I raised his donk bet to make him feel I am stealing plus to extract more value if he has 2nd pair or worst. I wanted to put the stacks in by the river that's why I raised and not let him apply pressure on me if hit the board on turn. Once he calls my flop bet it was clear he has a pair, so only thing to worry about was pair of 5 which he made trips. So would he do that stupid stuff when he turned trips that was the key question.

Old
Sun May 25, 2014, 02:45 PM
(#4)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adikumar2010 View Post
As we know weak player mostly donks with pair or draw on the flop, so basically when they catch piece of the board they like to donk small amounts. "They don't donk to fold to a raise I think you told us in one of the trainings."
A couple points:

1) No I didn't tell you that in a training, that they will auto-call a shove
2) We don't know this is a weak player, we don't have any reads yet.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun May 25, 2014, 02:55 PM
(#5)
Sorry then maybe someone else did say that people usually donk out when they catch some piece of the board, I can't remember which trainier.

Old
Sun May 25, 2014, 03:46 PM
(#6)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adikumar2010 View Post
Sorry then maybe someone else did say that people usually donk out when they catch some piece of the board, I can't remember which trainier.
I said nothing about this in my post.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com