Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Showing Hole Cards

Old
Showing Hole Cards - Sat May 24, 2014, 11:01 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2014
The last few tournaments I have played in (micro stakes)there have been players betting through and seeing the river then folding and showing one of their hole cards, usually an ace or king. what is the purpose of this? all it tells me is you are willing to bet till the end with rag ace hands. Am I missing something?

Old
Sun May 25, 2014, 12:22 AM
(#2)
Since: May 2011
Just take it as free information. Sometimes they just show the rag.

More important if it's a 3bet pot. Then look at position whether a station calls 2 bets and shows 1 card on the river or bets 2 streets checking the river, folds to a bet and shows a card.

It is confusing why show anything?

Old
Why Show Anything - Sun May 25, 2014, 01:39 AM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2014
Appreciate the input. I realize it is no big deal but as you said it is confusing and being pretty new to this thought maybe there was a real reason for it.THANKS FOR HELPING A NEW GUY OUT

Old
Sun May 25, 2014, 10:49 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Any free information that someone wants to give us... take full advantage of it for making notes on them for later use.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun May 25, 2014, 03:22 PM
(#5)
Since: Apr 2011
I think I never would show a holecard before I fold the river, like some of these guys do. However, when I make a big bluff against another player and I succeed, I show my hole cards sometimes. This has as advantage that your opponent could go on tilt. It also gives you a loose image on the table when you just bluffed someone off with a rag hand, which can give you more action when you play premium hands like AA, KK etc.

Old
Sun May 25, 2014, 03:28 PM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2011
I try not to give free info, especially if I folded before showdown, but I kind of like trying to confuse players, by sometimes showing bluffs and sometimes the nuts if I win the pot. In homegames especially, showing your cards is all part of the fun.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun May 25, 2014, 03:54 PM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I may show something in a homegame (especially to teach someone something)... but in any cash or live tourney, I follow the tip that I got from multiple people (Dave, talonchick, etc)... do NOT show any card unless the opp pays to see it.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue May 27, 2014, 04:26 PM
(#8)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
I may show something in a homegame (especially to teach someone something)... but in any cash or live tourney, I follow the tip that I got from multiple people (Dave, talonchick, etc)... do NOT show any card unless the opp pays to see it.

John (JWK24)

Well that and you're not giving anything away showing in home games,we all know you're a donkey.

Seriously though,yeah,showing in a home game is one thing,money involved...nope,not doing it. Quite simply I can't imagine a scenario wherein any possible psychological advantage I may (or may not) gain on one player outweighs the fact that I just gave free info to every pair of eyes on the table (never mind if there are railbirds about as well).

I don't want people KNOWING I may bluff in certain spots,like everything else in poker I want them GUESSING as to what I may or may not do.

Billinmex,from your end of this,from what I've seen many (most) players who show like that fall into the "petulant" mindset...i.e.,the type of player who can't believe that our dumbazzes had the nerve to call his/her hand with that crap we're holding and now they're going to show us exactly how stupid we are. Usually these are good targets to go on tilt.

Old
Tue May 27, 2014, 05:12 PM
(#9)
Since: Feb 2010
I like showing my hole cards when the table folds to my BB.

This gives the impression you are willing to show cards but as you haven't acted in the hand it gives no information on your playing tendencies with any holding.

Other than that and in home games I usually don't show unless I think I can really gain an advantage by perhaps totally tilting an opponent by doing so.

And frankly the extra effort involved in clicking on one or other or both cards and then clicking the show cards button is too much...

Lazy Ed

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jun 04, 2014, 04:34 AM
(#10)
Since: Feb 2013
Ed, not sure you want to do that. I mean, against average not so good player, you will encourage BU and SB to steal a lot more than usually as you mostly show very bad hands on the BB.

Example: BU and SB are not stealers and they fold, first time you show J7o, second time Q2o -> third time they are hard pressed to try steal even though they don’ t like to do that, maybe even with hands like J9o, K9o.

Old
Wed Jun 04, 2014, 09:35 AM
(#11)
Don't show your cards unless you have to, period.

Furthermore, I think it's very wierd you can't muck your cards on showdown, after a player already shows a better hand. He and nobody on the table should be able to see what I was playing, when I muck my hand. Those are, I believe, the rules...

Old
Wed Jun 04, 2014, 02:18 PM
(#12)
Since: Nov 2012
BronzeStar
Don't show and don't take stock of info given on this from opponents
I wrote a blog post on it (check my profile) explaining why showing is what fish do and why you shouldn't

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old
Wed Jun 04, 2014, 05:03 PM
(#13)
Since: Apr 2013
Rkleefstra - you can muck your cards at showdown, however villains can look at the replayer to see what hand you have. I constantly see opponents muck there hands when I have a better hand where I win the pot, and then I have to use the replayer to see what they have.
Cheers,

Matt

Old
Thu Jun 05, 2014, 03:09 AM
(#14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin1988 View Post
Rkleefstra - you can muck your cards at showdown, however villains can look at the replayer to see what hand you have. I constantly see opponents muck there hands when I have a better hand where I win the pot, and then I have to use the replayer to see what they have.
Cheers,

Matt
exactly... and it's wierd that Pokerstars allows that. If you muck a hand, it should stay hidden.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com