Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

25NL Zoom, Turned boat, x/f river?

Old
25NL Zoom, Turned boat, x/f river? - Mon May 26, 2014, 05:31 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2012
Been playing pretty terribly lately and the results emphasise that.

This spot was from Friday past.

Pre, I didn't want to 4bet, because frankly I didnt want to stack off against a relative unknown in this spot. At the time he had never 3bet in 11 opportunities. No sample to speak off but it probably shows he wasnt just monkeying off with 3bets.

Flop is pretty bad, happy to check and fold to a cbet.

Turn, think it is fair to say that it looks like a promising card for my hand so I bet and get a call.

River, puke, any A and any K are now beating me. Is this a spot where I should just let my gut feeling win out and just check fold? I don't see what he called turn with that I am still ahead of?

Old
Mon May 26, 2014, 07:37 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2012
How many tables was he playing? What VIP level is he? Is he on his mobile? All these factors come into play when deciding whether to 4b/call off pre in these positions.

I don't really like having a wide flatting range OOP here. I tend to play a 4b or fold strat with the exception of AJs, KQs etc which I think will be fine to play post.

JJ doesn't really play that tremendously well, but flatting has merits. I'd personally prefer going with it pre since it's such a common spot for 25nl zoom regs to be getting out of line. This is just from my experience at the limit. I've seen plenty a reg 3b/5b TT given similar preflop action.

River, I really don't see any value in betting. We can choose to x/c given he can turn TT or worse into a bluff, or fold based on sizing.

We never get called by worse, and only get action from better, so because of this I would definately x/decide, usually erring on the side of folding.

I think a decent reg should x back a huge amount of his range on this board (possibly his entire range). As for a traditional checking range, AT and under should x back otf, so he still has a lot of boat combos otr.

Old
Mon May 26, 2014, 01:04 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Maybe KQ might call the turn, in case you might be betting with AJ, AQ?

Had sort of a similar spot myself this morning bhoy, only probably worse because I wound up losing half a stack with 2pr to a better 2pr, that on a better day I'd have probably been able to fold.

These big hand versus big hand scenarios, especially on action boards or versus good players, seem to require so much more thought/precision/etc - hopefully the analysis starts to come easier/faster at the tables with more familiarity/experience?

Note to self - try to be more concise with descriptors/wording ... the slashes are excessive/annoying

Hey birdayy!

Last edited by TrustySam; Mon May 26, 2014 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: edited for clarity :)

Old
Mon May 26, 2014, 01:58 PM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2013
Birday if you were to give v1 a bluffing range here what would you give him? You said v1 can bluff TT but where does that put QQ then?

Bluffing this river looks suicidal because even Bhoy can have some strong hands here. Im not sure what i would do with QJ in v1s spot here not that i would be 3betting it pre anyway but i dont really like barreling any turn card with that hand but if we did have QJ in BU spot would that make a better buff on the river than say TT.

Old
Mon May 26, 2014, 02:48 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hey bhoy,

I think that check/folding the river is a fine option. birdayy summed it up well, we are never getting called by worse and only getting action from better.

And he definitely has a lot of boat combos otr, as birdayy said AT- may well check back on the flop, so lots of his lighter 3b's can x back flop, AQ may as well, and of course so would AK/KK/AA. Also, we have a number of Ax combos in our range as well, so he doesn't just have a license to bluff if we check the river.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon May 26, 2014, 03:48 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2012
Yeah, think it was much better line to check/fold, I did fold to the river shove at least so I didn't lose a stack.

I there is pretty much 0% he was bluffing.

Old
Mon May 26, 2014, 09:24 PM
(#7)
Since: Sep 2012
I think QQ has too much SDV to bluff Mike.

Old
Tue May 27, 2014, 01:00 PM
(#8)
Since: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdayy View Post
I think QQ has too much SDV to bluff Mike.
Hmm so you would x/c this river with QQ if villain leads?

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com