Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

[10NL Zoom] Rivered flush SB vs BB

Old
[10NL Zoom] Rivered flush SB vs BB - Tue May 27, 2014, 10:31 AM
(#1)
Since: May 2014
Poker Stars $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 2512280
DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

BTN: $19.18 (VPIP: 21.74, PFR: 19.88, 3Bet Preflop: 9.09, Hands: 166)
Hero (SB): $13.26
BB: $4.12 (VPIP: 20.00, PFR: 13.33, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 15)
UTG: $8.57 (VPIP: 11.11, PFR: 5.56, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 19)
MP: $10.50 (VPIP: 23.08, PFR: 23.08, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 27)
CO: $11.41 (VPIP: 37.50, PFR: 12.50, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 8)

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is SB with 8 5
4 folds, Hero raises to $0.20, BB calls $0.10

Flop: ($0.40) 3 5 9 (2 players)
Hero bets $0.25, BB calls $0.25

Turn: ($0.90) 2 (2 players)
Hero checks, BB checks

River: ($0.90) T (2 players)
Hero bets $0.70, BB raises to $3.67 all in, Hero ???

First I think x/c turn was a mistake, I should have barreled turn and shove river. Just moved up so felt like a nit

As played I think calling was OK given this was blind vs blind and I was at the top of my range

How do you think?

Old
Tue May 27, 2014, 11:55 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
The thing I don't like here OTR is that nothing other than flushes came in. I guess the villain could have had a straight on the turn that they decided to slowplay, but I don't think they would shove river here with a straight.

I think the X OTT is fine tbh. I actually don't like barreling the turn here. I think the way that the action went, we need to make a disciplined fold OTR especially because we bet so big OTR and the villain still comes over the top.

Old
Tue May 27, 2014, 11:58 AM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2010
Yeah I don't like the shove but the villain is very likely recreational player and may shove two pair, or a straight here. 67dd/47dd really the only flush combos we're ahead of but i think they are in villains range too. We can discount probably ak/aqdd given the action pre also.

I don't like the sizing pre grind, I like to 3x my s.blind opens. Don't want to give villain a good price to see a flop when we're oop.

Old
Tue May 27, 2014, 12:52 PM
(#4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt eh View Post
The thing I don't like here OTR is that nothing other than flushes came in. I guess the villain could have had a straight on the turn that they decided to slowplay, but I don't think they would shove river here with a straight.

I think the X OTT is fine tbh. I actually don't like barreling the turn here. I think the way that the action went, we need to make a disciplined fold OTR especially because we bet so big OTR and the villain still comes over the top.
Hi Dirt,

If we account for slowplayed straight then we have to account for slowplayed sets, too and I think slowplayed sets is more reasonable given the action and his stack size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy Gar View Post
Yeah I don't like the shove but the villain is very likely recreational player and may shove two pair, or a straight here. 67dd/47dd really the only flush combos we're ahead of but i think they are in villains range too. We can discount probably ak/aqdd given the action pre also.

I don't like the sizing pre grind, I like to 3x my s.blind opens. Don't want to give villain a good price to see a flop when we're oop.
Hi Paddy, I remember I saw you on Zoom 10NL right?

The reason for the 2.x is I open really wide on SB as I see ppl on BB do fold much so I want to get away cheaper when facing aggression, also inspired by xflixx

Old
Tue May 27, 2014, 01:00 PM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2010
Hey grind4f00d,

Before discussing the hand post flop, I'd just think that this is a hand we should be folding in the SB vs this opponent in the BB. Against most opponents we could be opening like 27% of hands. Against nitty players who fold too much we can open 60% of hands and expect an immediate profit on our steal.

I think I prefer a x/c with our hand on this flop and I'll try to explain why. We probably can't tell too much when we have only 15 hands on them so to approach this we have to think about what hands we bet with on this flop, what hands we x/f, what hands we x/c. And also what sort of hands would villain continue with when we bet. BvB is usually the positions where you see the widest ranges.

Let's talk a bit about our hand strength. We have middle pair weak kicker and a FD + BDSD. I wouldn't discount this as a weak hand because we actually made a pair when ranges are wide but we won't be able to get 3 streets of value vs our villains continuation range so we have to think about the best way to get to showdown cheaply or bluff catch unimproved and this is where the tricky part comes in.
When we bet the flop, are we betting as a bluff or thin value? Well, I think we might get floated a good amount here from worse (in which case we would be betting for thin value), also we can get raised with semi-bluffs/bluffs, FDs (which will most likely better than ours), and sets. So it will make our life difficult on later streets because by betting we actually manipulate a big portion of villain's range (either by folding too much, or getting them to raise us with better or worse or even hands that have significant equity against us) So if we check, we can either allow them to check back or bet(both for value or bluff) in which case we are calling. Also, when we do check/call it makes it less likely that we have a FD and that's because with just our FDs no pair we are going to cbet this flop a ton which means they won't give us credit for when we do make our hand. As played, because we bet the flop and x/c the turn we have to fold to their raise. Now it's more likely that we were on a FD but they will have a better flush and no bluffs in their river raising range.

EDIT: Also by x/c-ing flop we balance the times we x/c with AK/AQ

Old
Tue May 27, 2014, 10:53 PM
(#6)
Thanks George, excellent advice

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com