Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

25NL ZOOM, 88 BvB in the SB

Old
25NL ZOOM, 88 BvB in the SB - Mon Jun 02, 2014, 12:40 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
I feel like I'm losing a ton of money in these spots. I'm going to look at my database for these lines OOP. Villain takes a B, X, B line IP. My feeling OTR with this board texture is to X/C this line all day long, is this wrong?

BB(115): 24/22/6.5 3B: 10.6

Vs Steal
Fold to Steal: 60
Call Steal: 13
Resteal (3B): 27

Flop
CBet: 73

Last edited by dirt eh; Mon Jun 02, 2014 at 12:53 PM..

Old
Mon Jun 02, 2014, 01:45 PM
(#2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt eh View Post
My feeling OTR with this board texture is to X/C this line all day long, is this wrong?
To me, YES, especially if you like to spew money all day long
After the flop, the only card that can help you, is an 8, so basically, all you have is 2 outs, as he seems pretty strong. It's a definite fold on the river.

Forget the numbers, what kind of notes you have on this player?
Is he a regular, how many tables, what have you seen him protect is BB with, etc...

Numbers shouldn't be the only thing dictating your play and no need to always bluff.

GL

Old
Mon Jun 02, 2014, 02:04 PM
(#3)
Thanks, Trap. His line just seems so awful, Maybe this is why it works against me. I just don't see anyone checking back a flush, Jx or an overpair on this turn. Seems awful to be checking back those hands. Also I don't see the villain betting 9s here.

Old
Mon Jun 02, 2014, 03:04 PM
(#4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt eh View Post
Thanks, Trap. His line just seems so awful, Maybe this is why it works against me. I just don't see anyone checking back a flush, Jx or an overpair on this turn. Seems awful to be checking back those hands. Also I don't see the villain betting 9s here.
There's no written rules on how someone should play his cards. If everybody played as per "The Book", then it would be a boring game. Personally, I do check back flushes (not often) depending on the notes I have on players, I will check a Jx if I know a player likes to fish for straight or flush or depending on my stack or any other notes I have on the player. It's not always cut and dry.

Hope this makes sense

Old
Mon Jun 02, 2014, 08:42 PM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2012
Bet/x/bet is almost never a bluff at these stakes. Take it from me.

He still has strong hands in his range. River would be a losing call.

I'd rather shove than call (not saying that shove is good by any means).

Old
Tue Jun 03, 2014, 12:15 AM
(#6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdayy View Post
Bet/x/bet is almost never a bluff at these stakes. Take it from me.

He still has strong hands in his range. River would be a losing call.

I'd rather shove than call (not saying that shove is good by any means).
Noted. Thanks… at the lower stake 10NL ad less I think this call is +EV. At least it has been for me. Good to know that at this higher level would be wrong to make this call.

Old
Tue Jun 03, 2014, 04:29 AM
(#7)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi dirt!

I agree with Sandtrap regarding the postflop play. However, the most important part of this hand is the preflop action. Calling oop with a medium pair doesn't seem to be the best choice. Your set mining odds are marginal and it will be hard to win a big pot oop.

I prefer either folding to the 3b or 4b preflop. 88 is a decent hand to 4b light with and will get folds from a TAG player like this more times than not. The benefit of 4b is that we win the hand preflop negating our positional weakness and the threat of all the overcards to come. The disadvantage is that if the bb continues with the hand we are going to have a tough time, either folding to a 5b jam or playing an unclear spot postflop. The villain will fold often enough that 4b still seems the best line to take here.

4b > folding > calling imo. Note: 4b is rather opponent/situation spesific. Don't go overboard with 4b every time you get 88

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com