Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Am I aiming in the wrong direction

Old
Am I aiming in the wrong direction - Wed Jun 04, 2014, 12:35 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
SilverStar
I fear this will be another long post sorry! Blame my Dad he always used 200 words where 2 would do
I'll be brutally honest I play poker mainly because i am hoping that one day I will make a lot of money from it. Don't get me wrong I love the game and it has got right under my skin like it has for most of us.
However I have spent the last 10 years trying to get to a position where I could call myself one of the 5% of people who actually are winning players as opposed to the 100% who think they are! and I am still not there yet. Break even yes - winning no.
So I was thinking the other day that given my goal surely I would be better off taking shots at big money (Sunday Million etc etc) via satellites rather than grinding away at cash/sng or minor tournaments trying to prove something.
After all if Darvin Moon can make the heads up at the WSOP then anyone can run good and score!
I would like to know what other people think about this and especially if anyone has reached the same conclusion ie Sod trying to prove how good you are and go for the money!

Old
Tue Jun 10, 2014, 06:03 PM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi,
Poker should be something you play mostly for fun; if you do so, with discipline and patience the money comes in naturally. About the Sunday Million, the satellites are not easy either. Skilful players are going to play those satellites because the know they can win the ticket paying way less than that. It's the same concept about the $1,000,000 big one for one drop, with $25,000 satellites. All top pros were playing them cause they knew they could get the ticket for it. So you are basically going to playing agains players that tend to be as good as the SM players. You can give it a try, for sure, but as any MTT, it is going to be harder because of high variance. My advice: starting playing micros, especially the MTT SNG. It's the best way to raise a bankroll, and once you get that, you star studying more and more advanced strategies, maybe getting a coach, and start playing SM satellites with proper bankroll and strategy especifically for that. You can give it a shot, but even if you get to SM, I'll tell you that once all weaker players are eliminated, you will be facing the top of poker players in this field, and cashing it is hard even for someone used to it. So focus more on the micros and lows, you will see how it will be much better for you

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jun 12, 2014, 01:41 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
SilverStar
Hi

Thanks for that!

I will give it some thought.

Would still like to hear any other opinions

Mike

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com