Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Equilab Predefined hand ranges

Old
Equilab Predefined hand ranges - Fri Jun 06, 2014, 02:43 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
Thoughts on Equilab Predefined hand ranges?

They have 3 SH Open Raising Charts under the MAIN - No Limit

- Standard
- Tight
- Loose

And then PokerEvolution/Stoxtrader ORC (same ORC)
And then Card Runners/Dueces Cracked (same ORC)

Just trying to find if these ranges are "true" as well as good ORCs too use.

Thanks!

Old
Tue Jun 10, 2014, 07:06 PM
(#2)
I don't understand the Deuces Cracked (ORC)

UTG: 15.08
MP: 22.02
CO: 29.11
BU: 39.67 - too tight?
SB: 61.54 - too loose?

Is there a reason for these ranges being the way they are?

Old
Wed Jun 11, 2014, 12:53 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
Those ranges are a decent starting point if you want to sort of "average them out", but they were designed several years ago, before anyone really knew much about pre-flop strategy or long-term EV. Games were also more passive back then, so hands like A5o could be raised for value and get called by worse ace-rags. These days, hands like A5o are barely playable.

I think it's a good idea to build your own hand chart presets and use your tracker to see which hands are most profitable (or not profitable at all) for you in each position at the table. You can also run the equities of your own preset ranges against typical calling ranges.

As for the SB ORC being much looser than the BUT range, if that's the point you're alluding to... It's game theoretically optimal to open wider in the SB, despite the fact you'll be OOP if called. You only need to look at the "overall steal success" stat in your tracker to see that steals in the SB are more successful than button steals, primarily because the raise only has to get one person to fold, not two.
I personally think a BUT open range should be around 42% and the SB open raising should be about 45%, but it really depends on table conditions.

I could give you the percentages for my opening ranges, but there's three main problems with doing that:
1. Looser ranges than mine might suit your post-flop style better.
2. In tight games (e.g. Zoom on Stars), you can profitably steal wider than elsewhere, so your ranges can be somewhat unbalanced; nittier than "standard" in EP and looser OTB.
3. An open-raise percentage doesn't tell the whole story. Two players opening 15% UTG can have pretty different ranges. e.g. I usually open J9s and A6s, but fold 44-22, whereas many regs open all pairs but avoid suited gappers.

If you want to build a strong pre-flop strategy, I think the charts provided by Matt Janda, Ryan Fee and Tri Nguyen in their various books are better starting points than the old Stox/DC ORCs.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jun 11, 2014, 01:37 PM
(#4)
Thanks for the reply Arty, So far I'm fine with my ranges. I was just looking at these charts that are in Equilab and I was trying to figure out why these ranges were listed like this under the deuces cracked section of the ORCs.

Everything that I've read for recent ORCs was that the SB should mimic your CO range as these two positions are the most vulnerable positions when opening due to the fact that we're getting 3bet more often when opening from these two steal positions.

Old
Wed Jun 11, 2014, 04:53 PM
(#5)
Since: Apr 2010
sblind is tough. Still don't know what I'm comfortable opening there, def my biggest problem point. Can't imagine it getting easier moving up either, expect regs to be defending super wide in the bb.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jun 11, 2014, 08:56 PM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2012
The best recommendation I can make is to watch Sean Lefort's 6 max concepts series on runitonce (you can delete this post if it violates conditions or whatever).

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com