Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Easy spot but Satty makes calling tough !

Old
Easy spot but Satty makes calling tough ! - Sat Jun 07, 2014, 08:05 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
Should I call ?

It's satellite and top two are paid. 4 players are left.

Stack Size:
Player 1/Hero (Me) : 8200
Player 2 : 3825
Player 3: 28000
Player 4 : 5200

Blinds: 100/200 Ante 25

My Hole Cards

Preflop :
Player 3 (UTG): Limps 200
Player 4 (D) : Folds
Hero (SB): Calls 100
Player 2 (BB) : Check

Flop : (Pot Size: 700)
Hero: Checks
Player 2: Checks
Player 3: Bet 200
Hero: Calls 200
Player 2: Raises All-in to 3400
Player 3: Calls 3400
Hero:

Now you can see that even if I fold my straight + Flush draw then maybe the huge stack Player 3 can bust short stack Player 2. But still 3 players will be left and only 2 seats are paid. So if I fold I will have like 7800 and Chip Leader will have ~32k if he wins and the short stack Player 4 will have 5200.

Now looking at it my hand is very strong but it will have 50% equity in best case scenario, should I take risk as I am not directly on bubble but if I win this pot then I will have 20k and I am guaranteed seat.

But if I fold I will have to battle 3 way with 1 huge stack and 1 stack which is slight short then me, maybe I can win then if I pass this spot.

It's very tough decision coz 2 are paid $ 4 are left and I am 2nd in chips but guy 3rd in chips is not very short, what do you say

I guess Player 2 can have like Ax and Player 3 has flush draw or two pair, etc.

EQUITY :

Last edited by adikumar2010; Sat Jun 07, 2014 at 08:17 AM..

Old
Sat Jun 07, 2014, 12:36 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi adikumar2010!

When playing satty bubbles, I want to be shoving or folding and I want to be playing against the shorter stacks at the table, not the bigstack that can knock me out. These decisions also need to be made based off of ICM and not just hand equities.

When I put this scenario into the ICM calculator, I get a preflop shove range for me of KK+... that's it (even QQ is a losing hand in terms of tourney EV!). I don't want to be playing marginal hands, especially out of position, so the best decision that I can make is to muck preflop.

When playing satties on the bubble, I want to be shoving wider and calling much, much tighter and targeting only the smaller stacks.... in most cases, even some premium pairs should not be played.
------------

As played this is a very easy decision for me as I'd be up against the one stack that can take me out and I have an unmade hand.... yes, it's a big draw, but even if I hit the draw I can still lose the hand.

When playing satties (they have a different strategy from a standard tournament), when I have a top 2 stack and there are 2 tickets available, I only want to play hands against the smaller stacks and can only be involved against the bigstack with an ultra premium hand (sometimes this is only AA, and even KK is a fold).

With having a draw against the bigstack... it's a snap-fold for me.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jun 08, 2014, 05:01 PM
(#3)
Thanks even if I have a strong draw, I should lay it down for the sake of getting satellite ticket.

Old
Sun Jun 08, 2014, 05:18 PM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
In satties on the bubble, with 2nd stack when 2 get tickets, even a made hand is not necessarily worth playing.... draws are snap-folds.

Getting the ticket in a satty and tourneyEV are the only things that matter in these types of spots. Draws that could sacrifice my chip position or tourney life are not worth it... only premium made hands should be played. Even if the draw was a high +chipEV, it will be -tourneyEV and due to this, needs to be folded.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jun 08, 2014, 05:29 PM
(#5)
Not a direct bubble as 4 left, 2 are paid. But I was 2nd in chips. So I can still wait for better hand or wait for short guy to go busto.

But as you said even in normal FT of a tournament for example say Sunday Storm FT we should fold this hand.

Old
Sun Jun 08, 2014, 05:38 PM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by adikumar2010 View Post

But as you said even in normal FT of a tournament for example say Sunday Storm FT we should fold this hand.
Not necessarily... that's different from a satty with 2 paid. The pay structure changes WILL effect the IDM ranges. Depending on the pay structure, this could be a call in a std tourney.. but not in a satty with 2 paid and 2 getting nada.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com