Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

NL Weekly Round 2 FR - Close to the bubble: Was this the right move pre-flop?

Old
NL Weekly Round 2 FR - Close to the bubble: Was this the right move pre-flop? - Sat Jun 07, 2014, 12:00 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2011
This hand probably should have been posted in the Bronze section, but I am (for the first time) Chrome so I am abiding by the rules.

I realize that FR usually don't get much hand review, but I thought the hand itself was good for a topic of discussion.

I was so close to the bubble, but yet not enough chips to secure a spot in the money. I had a 50/50 chance of riding it out and maybe make the money, I figure.

My thought process I would like to discuss once I see what others have to say.

http://t.co/JVdLMeFmx5

Old
Sat Jun 07, 2014, 12:08 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
** moved to Advanced No-Limit Hold'em Tournament Reviews **

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jun 07, 2014, 12:09 PM
(#3)
Since: Mar 2011
Nothing wrong with your play.

Old
Sat Jun 07, 2014, 12:41 PM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Busted Wagon!

The key for me in this hand is.... I don't have enough chips to cash. With this being the case, I'm looking for any situation where I can gain the chips needed to get ITM.

When it folds to the button, unless the opp is a total nit (opp profile not listed), this should be a very wide steal attempt. KJo has plenty equity against this range to shove with and since it will cost the opp the majority of their chips to call, I might even have a small amount of fold equity.

With this being the case, I'm shipping it in!

Well played.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jun 07, 2014, 02:06 PM
(#5)
What Boom doesn't show, is that I tanked a bit on the decision. Even though it was a FR, the bubble was so close I figured the button was trying to steal the binds and I thought I still had FE. And if they actually had a hand, I was pretty sure my cards would play somewhat post-flop against their range. Even though my shove worked out, I was curious if others thought my shove was the right move.

Old
Sat Jun 07, 2014, 02:09 PM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
If you have what you think is a sticky spot, that's what the clock's for. Think it thru and make the best decision is the play that I want to make. If I'm running a complicated calculation thru my head, I'll use some of the clock at times too... it's what it's there for.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jun 07, 2014, 09:45 PM
(#7)
One thing I want to add... if it wasn't for PSO live training, I would have always called here and 'played safe' - check the flop (if I didn't hit and fold to any bet). PSO training made me think that I should shove here.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com