Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

50NL, AJo vs. loose passive player

Old
50NL, AJo vs. loose passive player - Mon Jun 09, 2014, 12:12 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
I decided to 3B AJo vs. this loose passive player to isolate. I actually wasn't too happy about it after I did this so this was probably a mistake.

OTF: I decided I wasn't folding... plan was to cbet an amount in order to shove the turn.

Please review PF decision.

PostF, obviously having A of diamonds would have been nicer to go with. Not sure if this was the smartest idea to go with the hand or not.

I got lucky.

UTG(237): 35/19/0.7
Fold to 3B: 18 (11 samples)
Fold to cbet: 41 (22 samples)

Old
Mon Jun 09, 2014, 12:21 PM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2012
This is super spewy (postflop. preflop is good)

This board is really good for his range. We should be checking back a tonne of our hands on this board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt eh View Post
OTF: I decided I wasn't folding...
Nice analysis bro.

Take the free card and realize your equity . If he checks to you on a Q or K or something we can start betting turn and deciding what to do on various rivers. We can rep a lot more hands when we x back on good turns. Think about AdK. There wouldn't really be any reason to cbet. Thus when a high card comes OTT it's good for our range and bad for his.

It's ok to lose a pot. Don't get attached to hands and 'go with them' because you decided your not gonna fold.

As played, turn is just lighting money on fire. Not only are our outs tainted (he's not folding AxQd for example), but I don't expect a fish to call flop to fold that turn.

Old
Mon Jun 09, 2014, 12:34 PM
(#3)
birdayy, would you take this line vs. a different player type? Or are we never taking this line?

Old
Mon Jun 09, 2014, 01:22 PM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2012
Middle card heavy boards favour the callers range.

Because of this we should be betting a lot less with our entire range.

Obviously you want to remain balanced and protect your ranges vs good regs, so checking backs stuff like AdA, or sets can be good on boards like this.

In terms of this line, I wouldn't take it vs anyone with this particular hand (esp on that turn).

Old
Mon Jun 09, 2014, 03:19 PM
(#5)
(Head Trainer)
Hi dirt,

I agree with birdayy here... I don't mind isolating him preflop since he does open relatively loose and won't fold most of his junk apparently.

I would prefer not to c-bet this flop for the reasons birdayy said... and on the turn certainly moving all in is bad news vs. this guy. Just to stress the points already made, I think the biggest problem here was your mindset to go with it and not fold with blinders on. It's important to at least consider things like:

-What's his flop check/calling range
-How does the turn card impact that range (against a strong player how it impacts your perceived range would also be important)
-Has our fold equity increased or decreased? (Since we are basically bluffing)

This turn card does not scare him in any way and any hand he felt worthy of calling the flop is almost certainly not folding now. Take the free card and give up when you miss, value bet when you improve and he checks to you, imo.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com