Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

KQ flop fold

Old
KQ flop fold - Fri Jun 13, 2014, 09:57 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2013

Tell me I did it right.. Considering the fact that the blinds were 15/30 and I could play without constraints further, not risking the whole stack.

Old
Fri Jun 13, 2014, 10:03 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2013
What kind of tournament was this?

Fold on the flop was correct. Just make a note that villain 4 open overbet shoves flops with top pair and that villain 7 is calling those shoves with draws. That can be useful for later

Old
Fri Jun 13, 2014, 10:14 AM
(#3)
This was one of the regular tournaments with something like $1.5K Gtd and $1.10 buy-in.
Yeah, I took notes but such guys are often kicked out right away at the beginning of a tournament, and they did
Thanks for the answer.

Old
Fri Jun 13, 2014, 10:48 AM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2013
Don't be results orientated. Thinking "if I had called that I would have won the pot" is not healthy. You cant focus on one specific hand. over the long term calling in that spot would not make you money.

e.g.

if you call and lose you are losing an 1610 per hand
if you call and win you are gaining 4045 per hand.

Your approximate equity assuming pairing is good is 24% (its actually less as im including KQ spades here as you didn't know villain was on a flush draw) (also it makes no allowance for you hitting a K on the turn and a villain improving on the river.......so it really is an optimistic assessment.)

over 100 occurances you are winning 24 x 4045 = 97080
and losing 76 x 1610 = 122360

Overall down 25280 or 252 chips per hand.

So don't think of this as a big pot you missed out on winning. Think of it as 252 chips you saved yourself.

Old
Fri Jun 13, 2014, 11:51 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Preflop, I'm calling and not 3-betting. I have position and a hand that could be dominated, so I don't want to bloat the pot. Plus, since this is early in the tourney, most opps will probably call the 3-bet with anything.

When faced with the flop action... easy fold. I cannot be chasing in pots where I'm priced out (and can have my outs easily counterfeited).

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jun 13, 2014, 12:11 PM
(#6)
etchos, I was not results orientated for no means, that's a pretty fishy psychological approach to the game. I was just thinking whether or not I made a fold right, that's all
JWK24, yeah, I know that calling was better in that situation but those guys were playing kinda loose and I was thinking that KQ could be pretty good on the flop..
Thank you guys!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com