Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

FR 25NL, AA open raise and then face an oversized 3-bet

Old
FR 25NL, AA open raise and then face an oversized 3-bet - Fri Jun 13, 2014, 01:47 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2012
SilverStar
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (8 handed)
MP1 ($29.51)
MP2 ($26.90)
CO ($10.30)
Button ($27.26)
SB ($26.20)
BB ($22.85)
UTG ($26.49)
Hero (UTG+1) ($29.57)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A, A
1 fold, Hero raises to $0.75, MP1 raises to $8, 5 folds,

Villain is 15/11/3.0/5.0 over a small sample of 67 hands.

Raising is clearly the most obvious option but do you ever just smooth call and let him continue agression?

His oversized 3bet is pretty polarizing and if he is bluffing a 4bet may scare him away....???

On the flip side, its possible Villain may now feel obligated to call a raise even with trash hands

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jun 13, 2014, 02:22 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Full ring OOP you can play it a couple of ways.

If we smooth. We need to be prepared to XC ATW. If villain checks back the turn then we can lead the river.

The sizing is ridiculously large @ 27% of their stack. 32bb which is about 10-12bb larger than a "Standard 4B".

If we 4b here we need to jam all-in.

I think that due to the fact that we're only 118bb deep. I prefer a smooth call and have the villain bluff off the rest of their money PostF.

Last edited by dirt eh; Fri Jun 13, 2014 at 02:24 PM.. Reason: misread stack sizes

Old
Sat Jun 14, 2014, 03:19 AM
(#3)
Since: Dec 2012
A villain isn't going to make that raise size and then fold to an all in. I think if we shove we get called every time. However, maybe he mis-clicked and flat calling can keep his hand in. Can't really go wrong with either decision in this spot.

Old
Sat Jun 14, 2014, 05:48 AM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2010
Hi Sle4zy_E,

Whatever hand this player is raising, I think will hardly ever fold to a shove; I really doubt we will see some silly hand raising that big as a bluff. Clearly, this raise size tells us that the villain is bad and they have also told us with their sizing that they want to put alot of money in the pot. So I'd just put the money in preflop while they think they are strong. I'd hate to see him fold their last 20 something with their QQ on a K high or something like that. But really, we can't go wrong with any line we take at this point.

Old
Sat Jun 14, 2014, 11:24 AM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2012
SilverStar
Thanks guys.

Always nice to see other players thought process.

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com