Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Poker Tilt Issues?

Old
Poker Tilt Issues? - Sat Jun 14, 2014, 07:25 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2014
BronzeStar

can somebody share / explain / help / on how to manage TILT.

thank you for sharing your thoughts

Old
Sat Jun 14, 2014, 07:38 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamBABYjam View Post

Hi jamBABYjam,

Tilt is as much a part of everyday poker as are the cards and the chips. It's normal to get really tilted at the game now and then so don't worry, we've all been there

Jared Tendler is a world leading author on the subject of the 'Mental Game of Poker' and we are lucky at PokerSchoolOnline that Jared has written some great articles for us on the subject of poker tilt. Here's some links to articles you may find helpful.

Seven Types of Tilt

Understanding Poker Tilt

Ask Jared Q&A Thread

Cheers,
Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jun 16, 2014, 07:54 AM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2013
I always think that one of the most important things in tilt management is good BRM. If you are playing outwith good BRM then you are playing with money that matters. i.e having a $50 roll and playing in $25 tourney. Losing half your poker pennies is always going to have an effect on you especially if KK has just lucked out on your AA all in pre. faced with that big loss its very difficult to say "you know what......I made the correct play and long term that will make me money"......because all of a sudden you don't have a long term

If however you have good BRM. You face the KK beating your AA but you have $50 roll and the tourney buy in was $0.5............ It becomes much easier to process. Its an acceptable loss. It is something that's just part of the game. Its easier to be objective about your play.

Ultimately in my opinion BRM is an underlying factor in many forms of tilt.

Old
Lightbulb
Wed Jul 09, 2014, 02:55 PM
(#4)
Since: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by etchos View Post
I always think that one of the most important things in tilt management is good BRM. If you are playing outwith good BRM then you are playing with money that matters. i.e having a $50 roll and playing in $25 tourney. Losing half your poker pennies is always going to have an effect on you especially if KK has just lucked out on your AA all in pre. faced with that big loss its very difficult to say "you know what......I made the correct play and long term that will make me money"......because all of a sudden you don't have a long term

If however you have good BRM. You face the KK beating your AA but you have $50 roll and the tourney buy in was $0.5............ It becomes much easier to process. Its an acceptable loss. It is something that's just part of the game. Its easier to be objective about your play.

Ultimately in my opinion BRM is an underlying factor in many forms of tilt.
absolutely agree with you, I can add one more thing that need TIME for adapt with stabil play.
2% BRM for cash and 1% BRM for Ts,it is not just advice it is necessary what must do begginer.

Old
Mon Jul 14, 2014, 03:43 AM
(#5)
Since: Jan 2014
BronzeStar
thank you for all of your response.. my problem is this.. i value more my live money ( cash game / tourney ) rather than online bankroll..what i mean is i always think that if i am gonna lose money online.. there is freeroll that is waiting for me.. while in live games.. i play always with caution rather than online games.. can u have opinion on this ??

Old
Mon Jul 14, 2014, 05:10 AM
(#6)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
what i mean is i always think that if i am gonna lose money online.. there is freeroll that is waiting for me.. while in live games.. i play always with caution rather than online games.. can u have opinion on this ??
For me it depends.

If it's a really low buy-in micro tourney or freerool I might play in social mode. That means that I'm playing for fun and will take more risks and gambles, bordering on donk-style, with my chips.

On the other hand, if it's a big tournament with a nice prize-pool I'll play in grind mode and concentrate fully on what's happening at the table.

For me it doesn't matter whether that's online or live, it's more about why I entered or sat down at the table in the first place and what I want to get out of that particular game.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jul 23, 2014, 05:25 PM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2014
BronzeStar
Quote:

My own experience is that it doesn't come out in full on anger, I am usually quite passive in that sense. But I think it overly polarises my views of opponents. So if someone sucks out on my with a weak hand, I am more likely to think they have a weak hand every time they get involved because it affected me emotionally. Whereas when I'm not tilted I more rationally recognise I need to see something at least twice before I form an opinion about that player.

So yeah, if you feel tilted just check to make sure it doesn't completely polarise your view of that player.

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jul 26, 2014, 01:54 PM
(#8)
Since: Jan 2012
BronzeStar
I once had a pretty nasty tilt problem. I now virtually never tilt. Combination of: Seeing every bad beat scenario possible a thousand times over. Becoming a more logical person, re: I just lost a big pot with KK vs 67 off suit all in pre. What is the logic of becoming upset and playing crazier? The only difference will be a deterioration of your play. Super-donk still has those chips regardless of how mad you get, so just play your game the best you can. Losing a crucial pot or an especially gross beat can still make me a little angry (for a short time) but I don't let it alter my play at all. One last thing that has helped: big-picture thinking. In the grand scheme of things, there are things infinitely worse than ANY poker beat, even if it were for $10 million.

Old
Sun Jul 27, 2014, 02:27 AM
(#9)
Since: Jul 2014
WhiteStar
money is just money. money is immaterial. the only thing that matters when your in a hand is the making the highest expected value of a play. you give up an edge when you waist energy. Tilting is energy. thinking about anything other than ranges, ways to exploit opponents etc is a waist of energy. Tilt is not a big deal. you must accept the realities of poker and play for the long run. and play every hand the best way that you think it should be played. etchos said something about bankroll management. that is the most important thing for most players at lower stakes. when you get aces against kings, it does matter because your going to get the same amount of those in the long run. i suggest you focus on where your edge comes from and maximizing it. not worrying about individual hands. if that is hard for you, i suggest you write about it, put it on paper and face it. and with experience it will go away, (or maybe it won't, im only me). IF you are going on tilt because your self righteous and you think a suckout is bad write about that, if your scared and taht si tthe kind of tilt you go on write about that. I suggest you get all that crap out on paper and face it and look at why. and do that fo a month everyday. if your serous about maximizing your edge i would do that.
then again im in the US so it's a little different because we don't have real online poker. if you can play online then i suggest your learn to deal with tilt there. you get more hands and more experience with bad **deleted inappropriate language JWK24** happening

Last edited by JWK24; Sun Jul 27, 2014 at 12:34 PM..

Old
Thu Aug 14, 2014, 05:25 PM
(#10)
Since: Mar 2013
When I played 6max bacikly never tilted but then started play HU I saw tilt in all shapes. Looked few Jareds Tandlers old videos and bacikly Tilting times decresed 90%. Still maniaks can get my on tilt But other things like bnad beats downswings doesnt mater because I saing to me we will se who is who after 100K hands so I dont worry Im i dificult situationmy oponent will be also in exact situation and in the end off the day I will win if i lost lees the he in same situation. Also tilting might point your wecneses sothing like you dont know call or not to call second bet with second pair and you lost and now you blaiming yourself for ann error but honestly you wasnt certain how often vilain vill have in particular spot. Do your goal is to figure it out. And in future when ypu lose you know that for example on avarage you decisaion is ghood because in that spot he 40% odf times will have air.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com