Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

2 pairs on dry flop, on a 1.10 mtt ft

Old
2 pairs on dry flop, on a 1.10 mtt ft - Sat Jun 14, 2014, 02:15 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2013
Villian was very passive, a 34vpip/7pfr and 28lm , Im in doubt if i can do something diferent in this spots? what to do with 2 pairs in this spot? (should icm slow me down?) .

Old
Sat Jun 14, 2014, 04:28 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi scarface763!

Since I'm the lowest stack left, ICM really won't play into my decision here, as I can't go any lower than I currently am and I'm definitely not shoving this hand preflop.

With Q5, I'm more than happy to see a free flop when the opps limp.

When I flop two pair, here is where I need to make my play (especially against a passive opponent). I need to make a standard lead value bet and with 3 opps, a standard bet is 3/4 pot (78k)... BUT... if I can pick up the pot right here, I'm gaining over 32% to my current stack. With this being the case, I'm open-shoving the flop.
I don't want to check and have a passive player check behind and get a free card that can beat me (what they'll do without a monster and even with some monsters).

Unfortunately, the opp flops a set, but the best play that I can make is to put them in, immediately on the flop.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jun 15, 2014, 08:55 AM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2013
thnks john i agree with you, i only checked because i was thnikingon a check-raise or a check-shove, but youre right the optimal play here is the shove thnks

Old
Fri Jun 20, 2014, 09:18 AM
(#4)
Since: Dec 2013
Checking or betting flop depends more on the button than it does on the loose passive.. It's a really dry flop so if I was button and it checked to me I'd definitely take a stab knowing there's a good chance I just take it down or turn a good card to barrel, so if button is the stabby type you should definitely check this so you get some value you otherwise wouldn't by someone betting with air

I think checking in general is the better play though, there's really not that much to protect against.

I prefer shoving or calling over making it 102k though, with your stack that raise just looks so much stronger than just shoving

Old
Mon Jun 23, 2014, 10:42 PM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
I agree with coach John I will lead out the flop here

just a cooler unlucky

get them next time

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com