Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

PSO Skill League - AA early stage of MTT

Old
PSO Skill League - AA early stage of MTT - Fri Jun 20, 2014, 02:12 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
4th hand of the tournament... in a regular MTT I am never folding here. Is it correct to play this hand passively in the Skill League?

Villain(8 hands): 38/13/0.0

I get knocked out in 438 out of 441 players.. Huge blow to my ranking as I am currently in 8th place overall for the month.

Old
Fri Jun 20, 2014, 02:38 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi dirt eh!

This is one where I'm playing it totally differently if a cash tourney vs a league game.

Preflop with AA, when there is a raise and a call, I'm going to make a pot-sized raise to 360.

I get one caller and see a wet flop of QT8. When the opp checks to me, I'm going to make a standard c-bet of 1/2 pot (480). I don't want to bet more than this because it's a league game and I need to save chips if I need to fold later in the hand if the board gets worse.

The turn not only puts a flush draw out there, but also completes another straight draw. When the opp checks to me, I'm normally going to make a 1/2 pot value bet. With this being a league game, the only time I'm ever pot-committed is if I'm blinded in, as I need to try to outlast as many opps as possible... especially later in the month when the penalties for an earlier exit are higher. I can't put all my chips at risk this early in a tourney without having the nuts. If the opp raises my 1/2 pot bet, then I have to let the hand go. However, if the opp is known to be passive, I can also check behind and make this bet on the river if the board does not get any worse. If the opp is known to be aggressive on the river, I don't want to check and give them a reason to bluff-shove, because I'd have to fold to it.

My plan for the river is to get to showdown as cheaply as possible if a non-threatening river comes. Unfortunately, the river pairs a T, so now I'm also behind Tx. If the opp checks to me, I'm checking behind and going to showdown. If the opp shoves, since I only have one pair, I have to fold and outlast more opps.

In a cash tourney... I'm absolutely shipping the turn, since this bet pot-commits me.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

P.S. I'd definitely be making a note on the opp about slowplaying a set. That's useful information that can be used to exploit them in future tourneys.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jun 23, 2014, 10:48 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
the moment he flats the flop that's scary bec you raise it so hard preflop and for him to flat that post flop is a MONSTER any draws will reshove and top pr overpr will reships so check the turn and hopefully see the showdown cheap if he bets small on the river

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com