5nl Zoom 6max - QTs

Old
5nl Zoom 6max - QTs - Wed Jun 25, 2014, 08:44 AM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2013
Hi guys,

Please could you analyse my hand below.

I really didn't know what to do here.

Should I just fold preflop, or should I just fold to the flop raise.

I don't like calling here (preflop) as I could be squeezed by BB and If I don't get squeezed, the flop comes, most of the time I miss, villain fires a cbet and you give up because of overcards, etc. And so for those reasons I think I need to grab the initiative preflop, because if the flop comes up with a K or an A or OESD or FD, I can be the one that fires the cbet and likely have villain worried with his underpairs that may fold to cbet which is beating me - I think.

On a different note, I am constantly being 3betted at 6max. As of yet I have no reads or anything on villains and so all I can do is find the fold button. Difficult or what?

Cheers,

Matt

Old
Wed Jun 25, 2014, 09:35 AM
(#2)
Since: Apr 2011
Hey Matt

I'm folding this hand pre-flop. Q10 is a hand which does not play well, especially when you are out of position. If villain 6 would have folded pre instead of raising I might have tried to steal the big blind by raising small. It is Zoom, so people are folding more often.

I think the raise pre-flop is wrong, because of the reasons mentioned earlier. Also when you would have hit a Q or a 10, you are most of times dominated by overpairs or hands with a better kicker (AQ for example). By playing these kind of hands you are putting yourself in difficult situations. As you said yourself, you really had know idea what to do there.

If I'm playing Zoom, I'm playing straight forward poker most of the times. You have no information about other players so I'm definitely not playing fancy. Villain 3 could be supertight for example. If you have a hard time playing against someone you have no information about, I would recommend to stick to the regular 6-max tables (no zoom).

People are 3-betting more at 6-max tables, because the chance is smaller that someone has a hand. Especially in zoom, where some people are folding until they get a premium hand. It is okay to play a wider range of hands at 6-max than you normally would play at 9-max. However don't put yourself in difficult situations.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jun 25, 2014, 10:15 AM
(#3)
Hi 95NiX,

Just so you are aware I am new to 6max - moved over from Fullring.

Thank you very much for your input. I feel I need a re-stealing range that attacks BTN (maybe CO) steal attempts. Would you attack a BTN steal attempt with this hand since villain's do often steal quite wide? I understand that in this case it was the CO making the potential steal attempt, and so his range is not potentially as wide as the BTN.

I bet flop because I wanted to keep up the aggression, and I did have OESD that is pretty well disguised. It was the raise where I wasn't sure about calling - being OOP.

Like you said, this situation could have been avoided if I folded preflop.

Cheers,

Matt

Old
Wed Jun 25, 2014, 11:31 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2012
i think preflop was ok. after flop: check/fold.
BB is strong and ahead of you and you are drawing dead there.
QTs is good hand to play against original raiser, but BB screwed ur plan.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jun 25, 2014, 11:48 AM
(#5)
Hi Riorei,

Interested to know how you are ranging him - the BB?

Cheers,

Matt

Old
Wed Jun 25, 2014, 01:01 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2012
i think he hit set. JJ or 99. with AA or KK he would reraise you preflop.

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by Riorei; Wed Jun 25, 2014 at 01:48 PM..

Old
Wed Jun 25, 2014, 01:07 PM
(#7)
Since: Apr 2011
Hey Matt,

I think I would to try re-steal more often against someone who is raising from the button indeed. However, when your re-raising from the small blind you always have the big blind next to you who still have to act (and might put you in a difficult situation). I'm more often re-raising from the BB than the SB, because when you raise from the BB you only have to deal with the initial raiser.

In this case the big blind calls a reraise, which is for me a indication he has a strong hand. I mean, would you call out of position with a medium hand if someone re-raises from the small blind?

I understand that you want to continue to respresent a big hand on the flop by betting. However we have to deal with 2 players and especially the BB could easily have a big hand. I think it is better to just check the flop and see what the other two players do. With this way you are controlling the pot and you don't face a situation where you get re-raised. You still have an open ended straight draw, so I might call the flop if the bet isn't too large. If I don't hit the turn I'm check folding.

P.S. Im folding to a re-raise on the flop. You are basically putting a large amount of your stack in the pot to chase a straight and you are also OOP.+ The big blind is representing a strong hand.

I would recommend to read some information about 6-max cash table strategies, because you have to play them differently than 9-max. 6-max has more action, because players are opening wider etc, while you can wait for hands on a 9-max table.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jun 25, 2014, 07:44 PM
(#8)
Since: Oct 2011
Pre-flop, I'd fold without a read, although it's very tempting to 3-bet vs a minraise. In the SB, a good range for 3-betting vs CO opens would be something like TT+, AK, AQs-ATs, A5s/A4s, KQs, QJs. (Note: Only AK/QQ+ are good enough to play for stacks. 3-betting something like KQs or ATs is kind of halfway between a value-bet and a bluff. You should fold these hands to a 4-bet, but be fairly happy if a villain calls, as you'll be flipping with his calling range, and you'll have the initiative).

QTs isn't quite strong enough in this spot, but it would fall into my range for 3-betting vs a loose player on the button. (Cutoff ranges are typically a fair bit tighter than button opens).

As played, the cold-call by the BB should set off some alarm bells. I'd range villain on QQ-88/AK/AQ-Js and tread very carefully. When it's 3-way, you're in pretty bad shape, as you're much more likely to be dominated.
On the flop with an OESD, it's very tempting to c-bet, but you're never folding out better hands, except for a few underpairs.
I think checking is probably best here. Depending on what happens (it depends if both villains get involved), you can either check-raise, check-call, or check-fold. All options are on the table. Occasionally you might even get a free card. I tend to check-raise with decent draws, as you can rep top set or an overpair so easily, and it's really profitable to get villain to bet the flop and then fold to your raise.

As played, fold to the flop raise. Villain has you crushed, probably with a set. Even his pairs usually have blockers to your straight draw, so your equity is very low. Check-calling with a draw while stacks behind are still deep is just about OK. It's not okay to check-call on later streets when so much money goes in on the flop.

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com