Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

NL Holdem - solid two pair gets killed by a flush

Old
NL Holdem - solid two pair gets killed by a flush - Fri Jun 27, 2014, 02:59 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2013

Hi,

If this has been submitted correctly I'd appreciate your thoughts on whether this hand has been played well.

I was happy with my pre-flop bet. On the flop, I draw a solid two pair and with a modest bet by my opponent I assume I'm ahead. I then go all-in thinking there's good chance my opponent will fold and if they call there's a great chance I win a big pot.

My opponent calls and gets their flop.

So! Am I just unlucky? Or was it reckless to go all in with the hand I had?

Your thoughts appreciated...

Thanks,

Phil

Old
Fri Jun 27, 2014, 10:09 PM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
Hi Phil!

You're down to a 12BB stack, so ideally need a double-up sooner or later to put you at a more comfortable stack.

When facing a preflop min open, AQs is easily a strong enough hand to directly 3Bet all in preflop. When everyone folds, you've added about 20% to your stack for free and folded out everybody else's equity. When someone calls, you'll likely have very decent equity and a great chance to double up your stack.

As played, I think moving all in on the flop like you did is a fine play. You can get calls from plenty of worse hands e.g. other Ax, flush draws. This is exactly what happened and you just got unlucky that your opponent got there and you didn't redraw to your full house.

In fact your hand is so strong that you could also consider just calling the flop and allowing your opponent to continue bluffing on the turn, as the stacks are so short that you're guaranteed to get the money in at any time you want.

Old
Sat Jun 28, 2014, 11:58 AM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2013
Thank you! So I certainly shouldn't have played more cautiously...

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com