Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

$2.20NLHE(1R1A) Bet sizing for optimal play?

Old
$2.20NLHE(1R1A) Bet sizing for optimal play? - Sat Jun 28, 2014, 03:22 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2013
Hi guys,this is my first attempt at this so hope it works.... I don't know if this is how I should insert the hand replayer or not.....

I don't remember having any reads on the villains and I dont use a HUD.I thought i played this hand OK but not optimally,I basically just got lucky except not getting called on the river I felt fine trying to set mine with my stack size.Should I have raised the flop? I didn't want to chase off action.What should I have done on the turn? I was afraid of the possible straight.And I really didn't know what else to do except check/raise the river,when I replay it I guess that may have worked but I didn't think so at the time for some reason....Any thoughts/suggestions and reasoning would be very much appreciated,cheers,Sulon.

Old
Sat Jun 28, 2014, 02:16 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Sulon,

I think you played this hand fine. Preflop call to set mine is certainly good. I also think the flop call is perfect... when the SB donks into the field on this flop texture he probably has a jack quite often, so calling is nice to not tip off your hand strength to the preflop raiser and give them a chance to raise you both with their QQ+. When they just call, may not be that strong, so dropping the hammer on the turn is fine. There are a number of scary river cards that might slow down action (7,8,T,spades) so waiting until the river seems to have little upside and more downside.

And on the river, I don't mind going for a big value bet on this exact card. On a blank river I would bet something like 8K, so I make it easy for top pair to call and not put his tournament life at risk... but if he did in fact just make trips on the river, most weak players (and in a 2.20 buy in I assume weak if there's no reads) won't be able to fold that hand strength.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jun 28, 2014, 04:56 PM
(#3)
Hey cheers for the reply Dave,that definitely helped to hear your ideas on the hand I still have alot of problems trying to put people on ranges (I play too many hands myself so imagine other people do too) so I was worried SB could have 78 even. One more question: You said you would have bet 8k on the river.I struggled with the river bet sizing and thought if I was to bet half of my stack or more I should just push all in? Or is that idea more for SnGs? Thanks again,Sulon.

Old
Sat Jun 28, 2014, 05:05 PM
(#4)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SulonExtron View Post
You said you would have bet 8k on the river.I struggled with the river bet sizing and thought if I was to bet half of my stack or more I should just push all in? Or is that idea more for SnGs? Thanks again,Sulon.
On most rivers, ~8K... the reason is that shoving all in puts his tournament life at risk, which will make it harder for him to call. 8K leaves him enough chips when he calls and is wrong to not be putting this tournament life pressure on. The bigger bet is ok on this river though because if he called our turn raise with a flush draw or top pair, this exact river card makes him a strong 2nd best hand that he'll be less likely to fold even with his life on the line imo.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jun 28, 2014, 06:31 PM
(#5)
Oh yea,I get that now,cheers.But I thought leaving less than half my stack behind was odd,or is that totally fine?

Last edited by SulonExtron; Sat Jun 28, 2014 at 06:44 PM..

Old
Sat Jun 28, 2014, 06:43 PM
(#6)
Oh yea,Aaaand,I have a bunch of hands (5ish more so far)some in a similar vein (bet sizing), that I would like critiqued if possible,now that I know how to post them and your replies are bang on what I was hoping for.I reckon I'll get alot (have already) out of it, but is there a sort of limit to how many I can post in a certain time frame before it gets to be a bit much work or annoying for you guys? Thanks again,Sulon.

Old
Sun Jun 29, 2014, 01:46 AM
(#7)
(Head Trainer)
You almost certainly have the best hand, don't worry about it in this spot, just try to range him and go for the best value bet possible.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com