Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

AK small blind

Old
AK small blind - Sat Jun 28, 2014, 08:45 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2014
Hello this is my first post here.

I would like some feedback on a hand earlier in a micro sng.
This is one of the first hands at the table so I don't feel like gambling too much in the early stages.

The game is folded to me so I raise 3 BB, big blind 3.bets, I then 4-bet before he/she shoves all in. Do I wanna risk an all in with AK this early?

Max

Old
Sat Jun 28, 2014, 12:20 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi Maxam93,

What was your plan when you 4 bet? You have competed 1/5 of your stack and folded, A better option would been to call or fold to the 3 bet or with a read call a loose aggressive player.

I think against an unknown villain I would just flat the 3 bet with my A high as we are racing any pair.

In this situations you need to be thinking ahead...

What will I do if he raises
What will I do if he flats
What will I do if I miss the Flop
What will I do on a wet flop
What will I do on a Dry flop

Seems scary but takes practice I am currently watching Bankroll builder with AHAR010 which is about 45 and 90 man sit and go's and has tons of good advice.
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...1-with-ahar010
can be found at the above link
Also Dave "TheLangolier" Has some cash game videos on playing AK
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...-February-2012

Hope this helps

Grade b

EDIT: Ahar010 gets into a 4 way pot with AK and does have an interesting discussion about playing at the micro level and how many plays will be playing weak hands so you should play AK which is an interesting watch.

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jun 29, 2014, 05:17 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2012
If you are not ready to shove then dont 4bet.
at the moment you kind of imitated the playing and not even thinking why you did something.

He 3bets 180 and you 4bet 300? do you expect him to fold? or do you expect him to call and then you would friendly check/check until the river where he shows his AQs and gives you the pot peacefully and friendly? Maybe villain even says that he is sorry that he got involved. I wish my villains would be like this. lol

real game is different. It seems your leaks are:
- Heads up game
- odds/ equities
- sb/bb game
- betsizing/handreading

there are plenty of videos about those topics.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jun 29, 2014, 05:29 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Hi Maxam!

You said:

This is one of the first hands at the table so I don't feel like gambling too much in the early stages.

Based on this ^^, Don't call.

4bet/fold is usually a bad idea, but in a blind on blind situation with little info, your small 4bet tends to slow him up quite a bit if he does not have the goods (assuming no info = normal). Also, the micros tend to play passively unless your opponents are pretty certain they are ahead; this bodes ill for you being against a range that contains any hands you crush.

I DO agree with Grade B that if you are prepared to gamboooooool that any 1 pair you might hit will be good a 3bet flat would be MY preferred line, but when oop with a reluctance to gamble it up I do not see a terrible play in your choices Maxam.

Sure, you might have tossed the best hand, but you also might have cost yourself only 20% of your stack vs AA/KK instead of all of it if you make a good, but 2nd best hand on the flop.

Hope it helps!

-JDean

P.S. Now whether or not you SHOULD be this risk averse in the first place is another thing entirely Maxam. -JDean

Double Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com