Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

10NL Zoom, KK, backraise vs fishy/Laggish player

Old
10NL Zoom, KK, backraise vs fishy/Laggish player - Mon Jun 30, 2014, 01:48 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2012
Played this one a bit differently than normal so I want to check on the line.

UTG is 19/14 100% F3B but over a small sample admittedly.

CO is 43/33 with a 33% 3Bet, again, over a small sample.

Sample size is an issue here but I felt confident enough to play this different than I normally would.

I think if I 3bet UTG I am likely isolating him to very strong hands. If he 4bets I feel a bit queasy about the whole scenario. So, having noted the player behind, who appears to be an aggro fish, I decided to call with the hope that he would 3bet and that UTG would go away, which he did.

All going to plan I then felt happy to backraise here for value against his weaker range and being overly aggro I felt I could certainly get him to make mistakes. He just calls and I get an absolute dream of a flop.

Knowing that he either has a '*****d' hand (In his mind) or relative air I made a micro bet expecting him to call or shove (Hoping for a shove). It looks kind of weak but I am targetting his weak range.

Thoughts on the hand to this point?

Old
Mon Jun 30, 2014, 02:18 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
I think it's fine. Another line would be to X/Shove. Villain will bet all draws and overpairs imo. So once they bet just jam.

Old
Mon Jun 30, 2014, 11:40 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi bhoy,

I like the preflop line in a spot like this where the UTG opener is tight and there's a huge fish to invite in behind us. And in the case of this guy, the flat/back raise tends to work nicely (ironically I just did this exact play tonight with QQ and the fish had aces ).

I don't really like the flop sizing tbh, just put the rest in... you have less than a pot sized bet and all the hands you're theorizing to induce from, aren't folding anyway when this guy has them. Preflop was a nice exploitation line, but I feel like this is trying to get a bit too fancy otf unnecessarily.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jul 01, 2014, 02:55 AM
(#4)
It was something I have seen a few decent players do on videos they posted on 2+2/YouTube. And it seemed to have a decent success rate when they did it.

In this hand the guy shoved with AJc, he was far from drawing dead but had no draws and just one over. So I got what I wanted action wise. That scenario doesn't come up too often but it was nice to play it differently for a change.

Old
Tue Jul 01, 2014, 02:55 AM
(#5)
It was something I have seen a few decent players do on videos they posted on 2+2/YouTube. And it seemed to have a decent success rate when they did it.

In this hand the guy shoved with AJc, he was far from drawing dead but had no draws and just one over. So I got what I wanted action wise. That scenario doesn't come up too often but it was nice to play it differently for a change.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com