Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

ImStylo's #pokergoals [2014 / 2nd half]

Old
ImStylo's #pokergoals [2014 / 2nd half] - Mon Jun 30, 2014, 05:02 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2013

Hello, everyone!

Let me introduce myself! My name is Paulius and I play on Pokerstars as 'ImStylo'. I am from Lithuania, my native language is not English so I am really sorry if I will make any mistakes in my posts. I decided to start my poker journey called #pokergoals. You will ask why? It's because I want to become a better poker player by setting some goals. I believe that this will give me an extra motivation to move on. At the same time it will be a good chance to keep learning English language.

Short story

My first steps in poker was in early 2007. That was friendly home games with friends and since then I started to like poker, but I never looked in it too serious. Later on I decided to create an account on one of the poker rooms and started from freerolls and cheapest SNG tournaments. It was just for entertainment and not the way to win money or even make a living from it. Later I had a long break without a poker and I missed that game so I decided to make a deposit again in early 2013. Since then I started to play SNG 9man single table tournaments... Of course it did not go very well due to beginners mistakes, no bankroll management, no strategy, even wrong opening ranges from any position and etc. My logic then was 'I just need to play a lot of SNG tournaments and as many tables as possible if I want to be good at this game'.

I realised that my thinking was wrong so I started to read forums, bought couple books from eBay and got myself to that point where in a total negative profit I stopped losing money, but at the same time I could not manage to grind my money back... That was really difficult for me.

I started to play cash games in october after I met my friend. He is a 6max cash player. He told me a lot about poker and about cash games and I decided to try it. My starting point was 6max zoom games at NL2. At first it was really strange to play it, because I played only SNG before that, but somehow I managed to move up to NL5 quite fast. I was playing at NL5 for a long time and I did not feel that I was good to move to higher limits, because I had a lot of leaks and I had to learn a lot of basic things about cash games. Now I am regularly playing 6max zoom tables at NL10 and trying a shots to NL25, but...

I have been thinking that I do not have any serious poker goals. It makes my progress very slow and now I am not at that point where I would imagine I could be as a poker player.
- I am missing a really good schedule with my daily routine.
- I am not going to sleep at the same time everyday (usually between 1am and 7am).
- I am playing poker at random hours.
- I am not enough reviewing my hand history as I should.
I know that there are so many things where I need to improve and of course those mentioned reasons kill my winning rate.

So as I mentioned previously I decided to set my poker goals for the next 6 months.

Start: 1 July 2014
Finish: 31 December 2014

My poker goals until the end of 2014

I would like to increase my poker knowledge. I will watch videos, read books and other stuff related to poker. I will start to play at NL10 zoom and I would like to end up year as NL50+ reg. I do not know if I am able to set a monetary goal, because I will have to jump from one limit to another, but I will try to set it to $2000+ without rakebacks.

Monthly goals

I will...
- play 90.000+ hands (mainly Zoom)
- try to be a gold star vip (2500+ vpps)
- read 1 book or other stuff related to poker

Weekly goals

I will...
- play 21.000+ hands
- try to get 585+ vpps
- do LeakBuster analysis of my game on the first day of the week (monday)

Daily goals

I will...
- watch at least 1 training video
- read forums, cash game hand reviews by other players
- do my database review before session
- post my questionable hands to the forum
- play 3.000+ hands
- try to get 85+ vpps

During every session I will play the best poker I can, making as many good decisions as possible!

Peace! GL at the tables
Pauly

Last edited by ImStylo; Tue Jul 01, 2014 at 03:10 AM..

Old
Tue Jul 01, 2014, 05:17 PM
(#2)

Old
Tue Jul 01, 2014, 06:48 PM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2010
Gl on the grind Stylo.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jul 02, 2014, 04:42 AM
(#4)
Day #1
1 July 2014

************************************************** *************************************************

The first half of the day went really well, but I couldn't win in all flipping situations on the 2nd half. Total score -1.4bi.

NL10 Zoom (score/target)

Hands played: 3748 / 3000
Vpp's: 177.01 / 85
Profit: -$14.41

Training videos watched: 0 / 1

************************************************** *************************************************

Last edited by ImStylo; Wed Jul 02, 2014 at 01:11 PM..

Old
Wed Jul 02, 2014, 05:16 AM
(#5)
Since: Apr 2011
Good luck

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jul 03, 2014, 03:13 AM
(#6)
Day #2
2 July 2014

What a crazy day! The begining wasn't great, I made couple spewy moves and was break even on the first 2k hands. Later on I played very well and I won couple buyins, but I was badbeated or run into AA with my KK at the end. I should mention that I found myself on a passive tilt where I started checking and calling too much, lost about 2bi (non showdown) until I realized that I am tilting. Finished my day #2 with -6bi under Allin EV. Probably this is not one of the nicest way to start my challenge, but this is the reality of poker. I need to work more!

NL10 Zoom (score/target)

Hands played: 4122/3000
Vpp's: 209.58/85 (Total 386.59)
Profit: -$37.15 (Total -$51.56)

Training videos watched: 1/1

Old
Hopefully Helpful Hints - Thu Jul 03, 2014, 03:29 AM
(#7)
Since: Mar 2012
Hey stylo. Your story and your graph reads pretty identical to mine. Bit of fun, Caught the bug, Lost a lot, decided to take it seriously, start turning a profit, set goals to achieve.

It's all good but if i may i'd like to suggest a couple things for you to think about.
Firstly drop you're limit. It might be advantagous to drop to nl2 for a while. Study learn but more importantly risk less until you start turning a regular profit.
Secondly, You're hand aims and your vpp aims might effect the way you play. Set a different aim. Say turn a profit 1 in 3 tables. Turn a profit of $5 per week, $20 per month.
Aims are good but make sure they don't cloud your judgement by trying to reach a target instead of doing what is the most important thing. Making good solid poker decisions.

Your learning aims are good one's though. You can never learn enough

Good luck on the grind stylo and hope to see you post some profits soon .

P.S. one of the most important things to read up on as soon as you can is bank roll management. With solid bank roll management you can take the rough with the smooth and not go broke.

Last edited by thephoenix11; Thu Jul 03, 2014 at 03:31 AM.. Reason: BRM

Old
Thu Jul 03, 2014, 07:54 AM
(#8)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Hey, welcome!!

It seems like there's a bunch of us who are sort of in the same spot of being somewhere between 10nl and 25nl - looking forward to following your progress, GL GL!!

Old
Thu Jul 03, 2014, 08:02 AM
(#9)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Was just checking my database on hands to see how often we've played, and saw an interesting spot - might submit it to HA

Old
Fri Jul 04, 2014, 06:16 AM
(#10)
Hi, Phoenix!
Yeah I totaly agree with you. I am not aiming to the targets of vpps or played hands, that is just my average on these stats which I can easily achieve every day without any preasure. The learning process is the most important thing here and it takes the first place in my 'What I need to do' list.
Speaking about BRM, I have my BRM since the begining of my start at cash games. Luckily I have never broke my BRM rules and I did not have any problems to move to a lower limits several times. Here is my BRM rules and it is kind of aggressive style, but I always tell myself to have a bigger BR is not worse.

BANKROLL MANAGEMENT
- $250 - 10NL, move down to NL5 if BR < $200
- $525 - 25NL, move down to NL10 if BR < $400
- $1250 - 50NL, move down to NL25 if BR < $1000

Hi, TrustySam!
I recognize your screen name from NL10. I have been taking shots to NL25, but what I faced up there was a realy big aggression and my lack of skill so I decided stick in NL10 for a while.
See you at the tables! GL

Last edited by ImStylo; Fri Jul 04, 2014 at 10:03 AM..

Old
Fri Jul 04, 2014, 06:26 AM
(#11)
Day #3
3 July 2014

I decided to play less and study more yesterday. I reviewed my hands history in a leakbuster and found a couple more mistakes. I noted everything and will try to compare it with my future mistakes.

NL10 Zoom (score/target)

Hands played: 2121/3000
Vpp's: 76.98/85 (Total 463.57)
Profit: $7.63 (Total -$43.93)

Last edited by ImStylo; Fri Jul 04, 2014 at 06:00 PM..

Old
Sat Jul 05, 2014, 12:14 AM
(#12)
Hi stylo. It's nice to see you have a good brm in place. There's a section here somewhere and their recommendation for a pro player is the folling
50 buy ins for cash
100 buy ins for stt's
200 buy ins for mtt's

That's what i use but of course it's all about what works for you. Good to hear you are studying too. It takes me an hour each way to and from work so i tend to use that as my study time. There's abundent information available to help anyone improve their game.

Finally i'd like to say a big congrats to posting your first profits here Maybe playing fewer tables helps you concentrate but you never know.

Well done and long may it continue.

Old
Sat Jul 05, 2014, 03:58 AM
(#13)
Day #4
4 July 2014

I got some problems with my red line. I am too passive postflop and I need to find more situations where I can do x/r.

NL10 Zoom (score/target)

Hands played: 3086/3000
Vpp's: 118.84/85 (Total 582.41)
Profit: $10.39 (Total -$33.54)

Training videos watched: 0/1

Last edited by ImStylo; Sat Jul 05, 2014 at 04:29 AM..

Old
Sun Jul 06, 2014, 05:30 AM
(#14)
Day #5
5 July 2014

NL10 Zoom (score/target)

Hands played: 2969/3000
Vpp's: 141.22/85 (Total 723.63)
Profit: $8.83 (Total -$24.71)

Old
Mon Jul 07, 2014, 05:20 AM
(#15)
Day #6
6 July 2014

Two times QQ vs AK, KK vs AA allins preflop and couple small mistakes.
#sundayfunday

NL10 Zoom (score/target)

Hands played: 4139/3000
Vpp's: 148.16/85 (Total 871.79)
Profit: $36.14 (Total -$60.85)

Training videos watched: 2/1

Old
Tue Jul 15, 2014, 03:19 PM
(#16)
Day #7 - Day #14
7 - 14 July 2014

Hey guys!
If you read my posts probably you have noticed that I didn't post for a while. And this happened not because I decided to quit and give up with my plans. The reason is that I decided to stop posting daily stats and I want to post results of the longer term (something like of 1 week).
The beginning of this journey did not start well, I was forcing myself to grind back my lost money as fast as possible. So after another bad session I took a day off and decided to play regular 6max tables on stars. I should say that I am quite happy with it and I managed to make not a huge, but at least a profit and it is a good thing for my mindset.

NL10 Zoom

Hands played: 3063
Profit: $96.41 (Total -$157.26)

NL10 (regular tables)

Hands played: 12845
Profit: €50.69 (Total €52.09)

Training videos watched: 9/8

Graphs
Week #1 - Week #2

Here are my graphs from my first two weeks.

NL10 Zoom

NL10 (regular tables)

Last edited by ImStylo; Wed Jul 16, 2014 at 10:23 AM..

Old
Mon Jul 21, 2014, 04:38 PM
(#17)
Day #15 - Day #21
15 - 21 July 2014
Week #3

Hello!
Here are the results of week #3. I am really happy that I managed to grind back my lost money and turned a small profit in total of ~$124.99.
I am working on my game everyday and I hope to keep these good results in the future.
Peace!

NL10 Zoom

Hands played: 14498
Profit: $171.80 (Total $14.54)

NL10 (regular tables)

Hands played: 3438
Profit: €30.93 (Total €81.62)

Training videos watched: 7/7 (score/target)

Graphs
Week #3

NL10 Zoom

NL10 (regular tables)

Last edited by ImStylo; Mon Jul 21, 2014 at 05:49 PM..

Old
Mon Jul 21, 2014, 05:04 PM
(#18)
Since: Apr 2010
Great work Stylo, keep at it you'll be jumping up in limits in no time

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jul 22, 2014, 02:13 AM
(#19)
Congrats Stylo. Nice to see you turn that bad start round. Just remember ur brm. Small profits add up and if you scale it up then that few dollars small profit at ur current stake will turn into a few hundred dollar small profit at higher stakes

Old
Tue Jul 22, 2014, 09:30 AM
(#20)
Since: Apr 2013
Congrats and good luck,

Matt

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com